PDA

View Full Version : Antique Rocking Chair

Cody Colston
04-24-2009, 1:23 PM
A friend of mine has a rocking chair that his great-grandfather said had been in the family a long time. The friend was born in Michigan but now lives in South Louisiana.

The chair is obviously of Oak and has some extensive carving, including a tavern scene on the crest rail. The friend is currently seeking more info regarding the possible origins of the chair and gave his permission for me to post it on the forum.

Does anyone here have any informed guesses as to it's age or possible value as a rare piece. FWIW, the friend said his family is originaly from Northern Scotland.

Steve Sawyer
04-24-2009, 1:37 PM
I have no idea, Cody, but by the looks of it, and with the known history of the piece, your friend should take it to a qualified appraiser if he's trying to determine its origin and value. It'll cost a few bucks, but IMO it would be worth it. That's a beautiful piece in what appears to be absolutely great condition.

Just make sure that the appraiser is knowledgeable about the likely period and place of origin, or who can refer your friend to someone who is.

Cody Colston
04-24-2009, 2:42 PM
Thanks, Steve. I've already advised the friend to do exactly what you suggested. I just thought I'd do a little invbestigating on my own, via this forum.
This all started when he asked me if I could repair the crack you see in the seat. I told him I wouldn't touch it for a million bucks because it's possible the piece could be worth that much. :)

Jim Rimmer
04-24-2009, 6:27 PM
I would advise him to have it appraised, too and not to sell it to the appraiser.