PDA

View Full Version : My first "G" project

Andrea Weissenseel
04-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I just finished my first project on black granite. I ran it on 50% Speed and 65% Power with 250 DPI - I got a real nice, deep engraving. Couldn't have made without all the valuable information here :)

Dave Russell Smith
04-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice work, looks like you know what you doing :D,Are they 12x12 tiles and did you do white infill ? what ever you did it looks good

Andrea Weissenseel
04-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you Dave :D

The tiles are 40x40cm each. They are not colorfilled - I have not decided yet if I will, that was the reason why I wanted the engraving deeper

Andrea

Tim Bateson
04-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Very nice work. Deep is irrelevant when laser engraving granite.

Dee Gallo
04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Andrea, I'm jealous! Your first one came out so much nicer than mine. Of course, you did the smart thing and found out what to do BEFORE you tried it... I've learned THAT lesson and now I do a lot more reading and asking before I try new stuff. Isn't this place just the best?

In my opinion, you don't need any color fill. The white areas are nice and clean looking, adding white paint will ruin the crisp contrast (smooth/rough) and not add a lot of white anyway.

Keep up the good work, dee

Andrea Weissenseel
04-24-2009, 1:21 PM
Thank you for the compliments

Isn't this place just the best?

Dee, I absolutely agree on that :D I'm usually also more the try&error type, but I had a hard time to get the tiles that I wanted - so due to lack of material ;)

@Tim - I'm not sure about that. I went to a mason yesterday, with my testtile - the fill color did not hold, and he told me this is because it is not deep enough. Also when you use it outside and it is raining the engraving is not visible when wet. If you go deeper you still can see it when wet.

Andrea

Tim Bateson
04-24-2009, 1:34 PM
Bill Cunningham said it best in his post from a couple years ago....

I regularly do marble and Granite.. The etch is about .005 deep, and really just takes off the polished surface.. Taking off the polished surface is all you really need in a lot of cases.. Take a wander around any cemetary, and see how many polished granite or marble surfaces have been obliterated, or even weather damaged in a hundred years.. The dates on the monuments will tell you exactly how long they have lasted, and virtually all will outlast anyone who's going to be visiting the site, and probably their grandchildren too.. I'm not talking about the actual engravings, the 100 year old lasers didn't do a very good job :D so all were chisled, or sandblasted. I'm just talking about the quality of the polished finish on the stone.. If the polished finish has lasted, then so will any etching into it..

David Sacks
04-24-2009, 2:07 PM
Looks great! -
Where did you purchase the granite?
Thanks
David

Andrea Weissenseel
04-24-2009, 2:57 PM
David, I'm located in Germany

The tiles I used for this one are "Chinese Black" but "Nero Assoluto" is also a good one for engraving. I dont know if the names are the same in the US

Andrea

Belinda Barfield
04-24-2009, 3:00 PM
Beautiful Andrea! I love the design. Did you do the design yourself?

Dave Lock
04-24-2009, 3:16 PM
Hey Andrea, thats a really nice job you have done there.

I've recently been looking round for a supply of really 'black' granite and only just found some called absolute black. It apparently an Indian Granite.

Keep up the good work.

Dave.

Belinda Barfield
04-24-2009, 3:23 PM
I've recently been looking round for a supply of really 'black' granite and only just found some called absolute black. It apparently an Indian Granite.

Dave.

Dave,

Here in the U.S. we primarily see two forms of Black Absolute granite, Black Absolute Z (Zimbabwe), and Black Absolute I (Indian). Some of the Indian granites are dye impregnated and can fade over time. Just a word of caution. Actually, black granite isn't granite at all, it's basalt. Just in case anyone is interested.

Steve Clarkson
04-24-2009, 3:33 PM
Andrea.......I'm not talking to you anymore.......

You're too new to be doing stuff that good.

Mike Null
04-24-2009, 3:34 PM
Andrea

Lovely work. I wouldn't do a colorfill either.

Dee Gallo
04-24-2009, 6:13 PM
Somehow I knew Steve would react badly.

David Fairfield
04-24-2009, 6:44 PM
Sieht super aus, klasse! :)

Dave

Dave Lock
04-24-2009, 6:45 PM
Dave,

Here in the U.S. we primarily see two forms of Black Absolute granite, Black Absolute Z (Zimbabwe), and Black Absolute I (Indian). Some of the Indian granites are dye impregnated and can fade over time. Just a word of caution. Actually, black granite isn't granite at all, it's basalt. Just in case anyone is interested.

Hi Belinda,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll bear that one in mind.

Dave.

Scott Erwin
04-24-2009, 8:39 PM
For being the first one you did and having a lot of information on how to do it this is wonderful...I dont want to see what is going to happen when you get this figured out...Germany is going to have a flood of "Engraved Granite" for sale and you will be hiring a full crew to do them...

Andrea Weissenseel
04-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the compliments :)

@ Belinda, yes the design is my own

Come on Steve - even not if I say "pretty please, with sugar" ;)

John W. Love
04-25-2009, 8:03 PM
Andrea, I too am jealous. I could pave my yard with all the scraps I had before I got it right and you do it on the first try! That simply is not fair! And don't mind Steve, he is just a big ol jealous baby! :p