PDA

View Full Version : Question/Opinions

Jason Solodow
04-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Couple of questions:

Has anyone heard of and/or used router bits made by a company called Elite? I've seen alot of their bits on e-bay for decent prices, but I want to know if these are good bits or pricey garbage.

Also, I just scored a DW735 planer, but the reviews I've read say the M2 steel blades that come with it are not the best. I've heard it is possible to get solid carbide blades for this planer, but where would I look for them? Does anyone have this planer? If so, how satisfied are you with it?

Thanks a million!

Lee Schierer
04-24-2009, 5:36 PM
When it comes to router bits it is really a case of you get exactly what you pay for. Cheap router bits are not well made and wiull not cut as well as the better name brands. Stick with Freud, Amana, CMT and you can't go wrong. I've found good prices and good delivery from Router Bit World.

Cody Colston
04-24-2009, 5:55 PM
I've never heard of Elite router bits but I do agree with Lee...don't scrimp on router bit quality. In addition to those he mentioned, Whiteside is also a great brand.

As for the DW 735 planer blades, I'm thinking of getting that planer to replace my old DW 733 so I'll be interested in the replies to that question.

Ron Bontz
04-24-2009, 11:15 PM
+1 for router bit world. Also remember M3 blades will give you a smoother cut than carbide and the carbide will cost more to resharpen. I have stayed with the M2 or M3 blades. Good luck.

scott spencer
04-24-2009, 11:42 PM
No need to take a risk with so many well proven quality bit choices...Infinity, Freud, Whiteside, Eagle America, Amana, CMT....all trusted and well regarded as top shelf bits.

If you don't want to spend big bucks, look into Holbren, MCLS, Woodline, Woodcraft, Price Cutter...

Russ Boyd
04-25-2009, 12:05 AM
As far as router bits....I've had good luck with MLCS. I do like the few Freud that I have. The couple from Rockler, not so much. Russ

Jeff Willard
04-25-2009, 9:04 AM
Carbide knives for the 735 are available from Infinity Cutting Tools.

John Thompson
04-25-2009, 11:13 AM
I run CMT.. Eagle America.. Amana and I do have a couple of the Katana bits sold by MCLS which have proved to be great bits. BTW.. the MCLS bits are not that bad for special bits you use once in a blue moon and the Triple Wing Cutters in MCLS are really good.

I just recieved a Triple Wing 45* chamfer bit and have put a few miles on it since last week in QSWO. Excellent job so far and the triple flute does make a difference in burn in woods that are prone to do so. The price is right for a triple flute bit.

Good luck...

Sarge..