PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat

John Fricke
04-23-2009, 9:25 PM
I was at a customers today filling his propane tank. I noticed he had a rather large pile of assorted logs out back. I meandered out there to see what was there. I noticed quite a few large pieces of box elder with a fair amount of redness in it and also some spalting. Turns out he is a truck driver and they have a contract with city of Detroit to haul away trees. Also turns out he was an old class mate from high school. I asked if I might beg off a piece or two from him. He said take all I want and come back anytime I see something interesting. I got 16 nice size blanks cut up and sealed tonight.

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2009, 9:29 PM
ROFLOL !!!!

You are in the vortex so deep we can only see the top of your head!

Congrats on the new wood score! Looks like you will have to stay in touch with this old classmate! Maybe invite him over and show him the vortex!

jim carter
04-23-2009, 9:30 PM
very nice wood. with the red in it, you might try a lye solution on a small piece and see what happens.

Don Carter
04-23-2009, 9:30 PM
Does this mean Saturday will be free for turning?:rolleyes:

John Fricke
04-23-2009, 9:31 PM
Yea, I need to quit running my chainsaw so I can run my lathe. Oh well, ya gotta score when you can.

John Fricke
04-23-2009, 9:35 PM
Don.....probably not........I committed to 2 different people to pick up wood saturday. Craigs List has been a boon for me in the wood accumulation department. Plus my alma maters spring scrimmage is Saturday, I'd kinda like to get to that. Another few weeks and I will be going on 4-10's at work so the weekends will be longer...:)

Don Carter
04-23-2009, 9:37 PM
John:
That's the good part about these lathes. They will be patiently waiting when you got the time. Good luck with the new lathe.;)

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2009, 11:34 PM
ROFLOL Steve that isn't the top of his head that is a piece of box elder. He is to deep to see his head.

Great gloat John.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Congrats John! Get it while you can.