PDA

View Full Version : Been away for a while

Todd Burch
08-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Well, I haven't been @ da creek for a while, it's good to be home and back surfing SMC. Between two mini-vacations and a roadtrip to Albuquerque, seems like I've been out-of-it for a month.

I would have attended the 5 Barns Picnic, but instead we went to Alb. to pick up a car for my son Kevin. He'll be 14 this fall, so in the next couple years, we'll have some time to restore the '67 Mustang shown below. We got it from my dad who bought it 9 years ago. It's been sitting ever since. He bought it in Az. from a guy who had it in storage for 16 years prior. So, afer 25 years of sitting, it needs a little work. 82K original miles. We drove back yesterday from Alb. to Katy - about 16½ hours in the car. Ugg. Now, it's back to work.

Todd

Steve Jenkins
08-03-2004, 10:56 AM
welcome back Todd. What a great first car and with all the work he'll be doing on it with you. hopefully he will value it that much more.
Think you'll make it up for the BBQ in Oct? Steve

Todd Burch
08-03-2004, 11:11 AM
I think I will do everthing I can to get there Steve. I'll read up on the details later and send you a note. After my last two roadtrips (going to Alb. - 14 hours, and returning, 16½ hours), the trip to Dallas will be a walk in the park! Probably won't have the Mustang ready by then though... :) And yes - you hit the nail on the head about us working on the car together. I restored a 64½ Mustang several years ago, and a '58 GMC truck too, both ground-up restorations. So, like they say - been there, done that, so this will be old hat.

Here's the other Mustang I restored for a friend. It was apprasied @ $9,500 after I was done.

Steve Clardy
08-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Looks like a great resto there Todd. Not much rust I assume, coming from where it did?
Steve

Waymon Campbell
08-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Todd - I had that same '67 model 'Stang as a twenty something young man. However, it was a convertible! Emerald green, Kreger mags, 289... man, I cried when I had to sell that car.

Good luck on the father / son project. You are one special dad!

Chris Padilla
08-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Very cool...I had a '69 Firebird in highschool that I did a fair amount of mechanical work to...I'm about a good a bodyman as I am a plumber....:rolleyes:

My latest indulgence is 1960 and 1961 Chevy/GMC trucks. These are the fairly rare ones with the large, wide intake tubes on the hood above each pair of headlights. Of course, I have no room, no money, and no time for such things but I see these trucks every once in a while and always think about turning around and chasing the owner down...;)

A father/son resto on a car sounds nice. My father wasn't really into that...he taught me woodworking and how to fix cars but nothing like restoration....

Tyler Howell
08-03-2004, 12:22 PM
I had a bike! Very nice Todd! Endjoy the journey.;)

Wes Bischel
08-03-2004, 1:39 PM
Todd,

You are one GREAT dad!! I would have given anything for a car like that - in that condition too! You are correct about the sweat equity - teaches a huge amount of respect for a car. I was told if I could get my mom's old Maverick (ugly step sister to the Mustang) running, I could use it. (note - not have it, just use it). I wouldn't let anyone touch it - not becuse it was a great car, but because I worked too hard to get it on the road.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll both have fun - until the insurance bill comes :rolleyes:

Wes

Tom Sweeney
08-03-2004, 2:58 PM
Now I know it!

My first car was a '68 stang - 289 automatic. I bought it myself right at my 16th B'day. I put cragar GT wheels fat tires & some basic engine mods on it & had a blast with it for a while. I've had about 7 or 8 mustangs including the 66 Gt 289 4bbl with pony interior & factory air that I still have from when I was 18. Unfortunately it's in a little bit (OK a lot a bit) worse shape than your son's.

Restoring the car together might just be something the two of you remember fondly for the rest of your lives. Good luck & good to see you back - now about that bubinga table :)

BTW nice job on the other resto!

Dick Parr
08-03-2004, 4:46 PM
Wecome back Todd.

Charles McKinley
08-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi Todd,

You are a man of many talents. Your restoration looks as good as your wood work. OK detail time: motor, trans., and interior condition??? Let me know if you have problems finding something my brother knows of a couple Mustang only yards.