PDA

View Full Version : fast brush on finishes

david kramer
04-23-2009, 8:05 PM
My 8 y.o. nephew is coming to stay with me for a week in the summer. I'm sure that he'd love to complete a woodworking project in that time. I have some ideas for projects that could be constructed in one or two days, but then need to be finished. I'd like the whole finish, including rub-out to be done by the time he leaves. Once he gets home he'll have no help, his parents aren't very handy ;).

I don't want to spray a finish. He'll want to do the work and sprays are too toxic for a kid to be messing around with. I'm sure he'd love to use a kid-sized respirator, but I don't have one.

Normally for this type of thing I'd use a wipe-on poly. It's easy to use and kidproof when done. But for poly I usually wait a day or two between coats and then a few weeks before rubbing out a finish. Do you think a wipe-on poly would work with say three coats one day apart, followed by two days of curing and finally rub out? If not, what would you suggest?

Thx
David

Todd Burch
04-23-2009, 8:33 PM
I would suggest either Minwax clear poly, applied with a foam brush (use once, chuck):

coat 1: light when dry 3 hours later - skip sand the big dust nibs
coat 2: heavier than the first, tip off with foam. Sand to 220 next day
coat 3: same as #2, let dry 3+ hours, done.

Or shellac - put 3 coats on in a day, sanding between.

Jim Kountz
04-24-2009, 8:56 AM
Shellac. You can put on several coats a day, the fumes are tolerable and its a relatively forgiving finish.

glenn bradley
04-24-2009, 9:57 AM
+1 on shellac. About 30 minutes between coats.

Prashun Patel
04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
If you gotta rub out, then shellac is the quickest of the brushables. However, it's not the easiest.

I humbly suggest that topcoating will be the least fun part of the project for yr nephew. Most time consuming and least visible results and most chance for mistakes vs. rest of the project.

If it were me, I'd get a couple cans of aerosol spray poly - oil or water based, or even Deft spray lacquer, and be done with it. You then won't have to worry about prefinishing before assembly, and yr nephew will have an easy time with it - and the results will be way better looking - albiet a little more expensive - than brushing. All of these dry sufficiently fast (esp the lacquer) and are available in any sheen that you might not even need to rub down.

Howard Acheson
04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
What is the item you are thinking of making? That info would help in suggesting a finish.

david kramer
04-24-2009, 5:05 PM
If it were me, I'd get a couple cans of aerosol spray poly - oil or water based, or even Deft spray lacquer, and be done with it.

You don't think this will be an issue with sensitive little lungs?

David

Brian Kent
04-24-2009, 5:52 PM
De-waxed Shellac and Wipe-on Poly. Done in the time frame and very forgiving on the brush strokes, since you don't ned a brush. Even I can do it!

jim carter
04-24-2009, 11:30 PM
what is the project and what and where will it be used ? that makes a big difference on the finish.

Prashun Patel
04-25-2009, 8:23 PM
You don't think this will be an issue with sensitive little lungs?

David

Wear a mask. Spray outside.

Lee Schierer
04-25-2009, 8:42 PM
Most of the water based clear wood finishes dry in less than an hour and are safe for a yougster to use. MinWax PolyAcrylic dries to touch in about 30 minutes. If you are going to stan the work, wipe it down with a damp rag and then resand before applying the stain.

david kramer
04-27-2009, 2:29 AM
what is the project and what and where will it be used ? that makes a big difference on the finish.

Not sure yet, probably a serving tray.

With kids involved, the more indestructible the better, so wipe on poly sounds like a winning idea to me.

Thx
David

Lee Mitchell
04-27-2009, 7:54 AM
Just a suggestion.....

Use this time to teach him a bit about woodworking and a lot about safety. Instead of avoiding spray finish, for example, teach him how to properly work with them. I'd stay away from anything that requires a respirator. Other than that, you should be OK with proper ventilation, well fitting mask, etc.

Try to make learning safety fun, too, where practical. Put his name on his dust mask with a Sharpie. After he wears latex/vinyl gloves, Blow up a fresh one and let him decorate it with a marker. Bet, he'll remember more about the need for using gloves after than. :-)

Oh, another thought - coffee's kicking in! Make up a safety kit to take with him. Plastic shoe box - safety glasses, dust masks, gloves, ear plugs, etc. Include a small box of bandaids to be used as a visual aid reminder to work safely.

Finally, I think it's wonderful that you're taking your nephew under your wing. My hat's off to you for working with him instead of visiting malls, watching movies or other activities of that type.

Hope this helps, a bit.
Lee in NC