PDA

View Full Version : Multi-tree outgrowths

Eric Magruder
04-23-2009, 6:32 PM
Has anyone seen multi-tree outgrowths from a single tree? There are sever examples in a small area of woods. Is this some type of tree farming?

Steve Southwood
04-23-2009, 8:31 PM
Is the area a swamp type of soil? Looks as they might have been under shallow water at one time and seperated to try and find light/air.

Larry Edgerton
04-23-2009, 10:10 PM
When trees tip over but do not lose their roots, that is the result after time. It is common to see this in low areas and along rivers and lakes where the water has undermined tree roots. Those were once branches, and when the tree was broken off or tipped over, they became the new trunk.

I like that first picture.....

Joe Pelonio
04-23-2009, 10:20 PM
This is a subject that fascinates me, especially nurse logs and stumps.

I saw several similar cases in the woods not far from here hiking last weekend. Those I could explain, though your may be different. The ones I saw were mostly douglas fir and hemlock. With the amount of rain we have and a few windstorms each year, a tree can tip over, but still have roots in the ground. One or more branches will become trees over many years, appearing to be growing out of a common trunk laying flat on the ground.

I didn't get any pictures of those, though. I did get one of a nurse stump.
You can see how the roots grew over the old stump when a seed landed on it, the wet moss from out rainy climate keeping it alive many years until the roots hit the soil. In the 2nd one, 5 trees grew from the same spot almost as one, 2 different varieties.

Next time I go back there I'll try to get a pic that looks almost like your 2nd picture. If you ever figure it out let me know.

http://forums.bonsaisite.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=21317

http://bonsaisite.com/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2009/post-3081-1240177446.jpg

Eric Magruder
04-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Joe,

I've been out to your neck of the woods many times, my son lived in Sammamish for many years before moving to the top of Tolt Hill in Carnation. I've seen the nurse stumps and how the big leaf maple grows many trunks, but I've never seen trees grow like the ones we found. I was wondering if it was a method of tree farming.

This is just one more example of how nature will survive despite us.

Cheers, E

Burt Alcantara
04-25-2009, 12:29 PM
At what point does a tree regenerate? I have a few walnut trees that have regenerated from deep roots with no visible stump. The previous owner told us she had a fear of trees falling on her so she cut them all down. The trees began to regrow about 3 years ago.

In my area, people have this perverted fascination with 5' stumps in their front yards -- talk about ugly on a stick. None have ever grown back.

In deep woods, I'll occasionally see cut stumps regrowing but others just rotting. Never could figure this out.

Burt

Joe Pelonio
04-25-2009, 6:41 PM
Joe,

I've been out to your neck of the woods many times, my son lived in Sammamish for many years before moving to the top of Tolt Hill in Carnation. I've seen the nurse stumps and how the big leaf maple grows many trunks, but I've never seen trees grow like the ones we found. I was wondering if it was a method of tree farming.

This is just one more example of how nature will survive despite us.

Cheers, E
Small world, I just went over tolt hill the other day and over the new bridge.