PDA

View Full Version : How to attach this top?

Steven McLeavin
04-23-2009, 3:55 PM
Can anyone think of a way to attach this top besides pegging or nailing it from the top?? Not being any face frame is throwing me off.. Thanks!

http://thepalladiogroup.com/hosting/console.jpg

Frank Drew
04-23-2009, 4:37 PM
Steven,

If you absolutely can't include rails across the top, I think I'd be happiest with that design if the sides and vertical spacers registered into the underside of the top in some fashion, perhaps with stub tenons in slightly longer grooves/dadoes. Then you could fasten the top down with pocket screws, or floating or pivoting table top fasteners from inside the drawer spaces.

I'd lose the breadboard ends, but that's just me.

Todd Burch
04-23-2009, 4:50 PM
Pocket screws from underneath.

On a side note, that's a really bad photoshop job on that picture. ;) I want to know how to open that center door with hinges on both sides. THAT'S your problem - not attaching the top. lol

Pete Shermet
04-23-2009, 4:56 PM
Can anyone think of a way to attach this top besides pegging or nailing it from the top?? Not being any face frame is throwing me off.. Thanks!

http://thepalladiogroup.com/hosting/console.jpg
If the drawer sides are not full height, a cleat on the left and right sides and inboard uprights might work with a slotted hole to allow for movement, possibly dowels?
Regards
Pete

Jim Kountz
04-23-2009, 4:59 PM

On a side note, that's a really bad photoshop job on that picture. ;) I want to know how to open that center door with hinges on both sides. THAT'S your problem - not attaching the top. lol

Good point, another one is look how the drawer blades/dividers go through the vertical partitions instead of into them. Very weak construction there.
+1 for the pocket screws, if not that then tenons into grooves plowed in the underside of the top.

Steven McLeavin
04-23-2009, 5:02 PM
pocket screws sounds like the way to go! leave me alone about my photoshop job! it's just conceptual :p

Todd Burch
04-23-2009, 5:03 PM
I think the top needs to hang off a bit more on every side.

Jim Summers
04-23-2009, 5:03 PM
Would figure-8s work?

HTH

Scott Rollins
04-23-2009, 6:23 PM
Sliding dovetails with glue only in the front?

Tony Bilello
04-23-2009, 7:15 PM

Nice catch Todd. Also notice the lift top?

Todd Burch
04-23-2009, 8:25 PM
No I didn't notice the lift top, but the bread board ends are cupping up a bit. It's a concept drawing.

Steve assures me that he is a better woodworker than photo-shopper. ;)