PDA

View Full Version : Used MM 16 or new Grizzly 17" Extreme band saw

Scott Haddix
04-23-2009, 2:50 PM
I am debating purchasing a used MM 16 (nearly new) for $1800 versus a new Grizzly 17" Extreme Series machine that sells for about $600 less. This would be for a home shop. Looking for advice...

Whichever I get, this needs to be my 'lifetime' machine - covering my known needs now and my future needs...whatever they might be.

I don't do a lot of resawing now, but part of that is because I'm limited on my 14" Rikon bandsaw to about 6" of cut.

Is the MM 16 worth an extra $600?

Cary Falk
04-23-2009, 3:07 PM
I have never seen a MM16 in person but I know a lot of people have great things to say about them. They are suppose to be very well made. I am happy with my G0513x2. A MM16 is not worth the extra money to me. Does it have a bigger motor? That might sway me a little bit even though the 2hp I have is just fine. If you have the money go for it. I hear you won't be disappointed.

Caleb Larru
04-23-2009, 3:15 PM
I have the G0555X 14" Extreme with a riser kit and love it. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. More than enough saw for me. Grizzly's customer service is outstanding also.

Rod Sheridan
04-23-2009, 3:21 PM
The MM will be your purchase of a lifetime machine......Rod.

Scott Haddix
04-23-2009, 3:29 PM
I have never seen a MM16 in person but I know a lot of people have great things to say about them. They are suppose to be very well made. I am happy with my G0513x2. A MM16 is not worth the extra money to me. Does it have a bigger motor? That might sway me a little bit even though the 2hp I have is just fine. If you have the money go for it. I hear you won't be disappointed.

The MM 16 has a 5 HP motor (1 phase)

george wilson
04-23-2009, 4:15 PM
5 h.p. is not needed.

Larry Fox
04-23-2009, 4:25 PM
The MM 16 has a 5 HP motor (1 phase)

Depends on the vintage. I have a 2004ish model with 14.5" of resaw and it has, I believe, a 3.6 hp motor.

I kinda agree with George though - I have resawn almost to capacity on mine and have never thought that the motor was starting to bog down or anything like that.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-23-2009, 4:41 PM
I agree the MM16 will be you "lifetime" machine. I've had one for several years(an older 3.6 h.p. one) and it is just a very solid machine.

Jim Kountz
04-23-2009, 5:04 PM
I have no experience with the MM but I can tell you the grizz is one awesome saw. Plenty of power and well made. Also when spending that kind of money you must think of warranty. Dont know if the warranty from the MM could be transferred to you but you absolutely get one with the Grizz not to menton A++ customer service.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-23-2009, 6:15 PM
Scott, I forgot to ad that the $1800 price seems a little steep. How much is a new one from Mini Max? Maybe somebody could compare these two machines or Italian vs. Chineese made saws in general. I know with the Italian saws you get less lead in the paint. :D But seriously the Grizzly GO513 would probably serve you well for $770 plus shipping. I'd only get the MM16 if the price was a lot less than $1800.

Robert LaPlaca
04-23-2009, 7:32 PM
I am debating purchasing a used MM 16 (nearly new) for $1800 versus a new Grizzly 17" Extreme Series machine that sells for about $600 less. This would be for a home shop. Looking for advice...

Whichever I get, this needs to be my 'lifetime' machine - covering my known needs now and my future needs...whatever they might be.

I don't do a lot of resawing now, but part of that is because I'm limited on my 14" Rikon bandsaw to about 6" of cut.

I own a first generation MM16, which I think I paid $1800 for seven years ago, a new second generation MM16 goes for $2895 (wow). I would be inclined to buy the MM16 for the $600 difference, if we were talking about $2895 vs. $1200, we might have to think over the decision much harder..

The Italian bandsaws like MM, Aggazani and Laguna are all resawing monsters. So if you are 90% of the time cutting tight curves with narrow blades, a 14" saw might be better. If you intend to resaw more often and occasionally saw curves, then the Italian bandsaws are for you..

Bruce Page
04-23-2009, 8:48 PM
The MM16 was/is my lifetime machine. I smile every time I turn it on.

Gary Herrmann
04-23-2009, 9:26 PM
Agree. My MM16 is a beast. Resawing, cutting 16" thick logs, tight curves, it does it all.

If you want a lifetime tool, you can't go wrong with one.

glenn bradley
04-23-2009, 9:28 PM
The MM's are sweet but for the price, how about a G0514X2B, 19" and 3HP with a brake.

guy knight
04-23-2009, 10:42 PM
went from a 18" rikon to a mm20 there is a big difference in fit quality and use night and day yes it is worth the extra

Steve Rozmiarek
04-24-2009, 2:08 AM
MM vote here. Tough to beat that machine

Shiraz Balolia
04-24-2009, 3:25 AM

If you are looking at a 5 H.P. saw, then you should take a look at this one

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0636x

We also offer this with a brake for a few dollars more.

For the record, our woodworking bandsaws are made in Taiwan and not in China. For bandsaw comparisons, here's another link
http://www.grizzly.com/images/pdf/Grizzly_BandsawComparisonChart.pdf

Scott Haddix
04-24-2009, 7:08 AM
I greatly appreciate all of the feedback.

I ended up purchasing the Grizzly 17" Extreme Series machine for less than a $1000 with free shipping. I saved $800 and a 2 hour round trip. The MM 16 is obviously a great machine too, but it is more machine than I need for my home shop for that large of a price difference. Now I just need to convince the wife that I get to use that savings on other toys I've had my eye on...

Shiraz, I also wanted to express my appreciation for your participation and support of this forum. This won't be my first Grizzly purchase nor my last.

Cary Falk
04-24-2009, 9:42 AM
Welcome to the G0513X2 club. Take some of that money saved and buy some good blades.

Jim Kountz
04-24-2009, 9:59 AM
Excellent choice, you wont regret it!!

Shiraz Balolia
04-25-2009, 10:19 AM

I ended up purchasing the Grizzly 17" Extreme Series machine for less than a $1000 with free shipping. I saved $800 and a 2 hour round trip. The MM 16 is obviously a great machine too, but it is more machine than I need for my home shop for that large of a price difference. Now I just need to convince the wife that I get to use that savings on other toys I've had my eye on...

Shiraz, I also wanted to express my appreciation for your participation and support of this forum. This won't be my first Grizzly purchase nor my last.

Thank you, Scott!

You will love the machine as others have.

Burt Alcantara
04-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Some other things to think about:
Is machine weight an issue? The MM is about 500#, the 513 under 300#. My G0514X2 sits on its base. Don't have enough headroom in the basement shop to put it on a mobile base. However, if I need to move it I can usually push it a few inches.

Table size & Height to table

Ease of changing blades - since I've only had Griz bandsaws I don't know how easy or difficult it is to change them on other machine. I find changing the blades on the Griz a little difficult, but that's just me.

Type of guides -- I'm not fond of Grizzly guides. I have the G0555 and G0514X2. Both are kind of barely OK. I've wrecked the guides on the 0555 and now use a Carter Stableizer (excelletn) with an 1/8" blade.

Tensioning - easy on the Griz

Throat plate - On both my machines the plates don't fit flush. Not a big deal but not a good thing either.

Fences - I love the resaw fence on the 514. I don't know if this is included on the 513.

Foot brake - Didn't think I needed it but I use it all the time.

Customer service - Grizzly is exceptional and outstanding.

So, don't just look at the money...
Burt

Tom Cross
04-25-2009, 1:03 PM
Be sure to check out the MM16 electrical switches. I have seen numerous postings on electrical switch issues, some quite expensive to repair.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2009, 2:13 PM
Tom....the MM folks found and resolved the switch problem several years ago.

Chris Ricker
04-25-2009, 11:45 PM
welcome to the griz BS club, Scott. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.:)

Dave Lehnert
04-26-2009, 10:40 AM

Give us an update on your new saw. I have an eye on one myself.

Wade Lippman
04-26-2009, 6:25 PM
The MM's are sweet but for the price, how about a G0514X2B, 19" and 3HP with a brake.

I would have to agree with that opinion.
The MM might be the better BS, but if the Grizzly does what you need, then so what.
If the MM was $1200 it would be tough decision, but not for $1800.

Rick Fisher
04-26-2009, 11:10 PM
I cant believe you didnt buy both :D

Throw a nasty 1" blade on the MM-16 and use the Grizz for cutting curves..

Such an obvious solution .. you guys call yourselves tool lovers and you missed the obvious solution ??? :rolleyes: