PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge

Brian Cosier
04-23-2009, 2:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I finally decided to take the plunge and order the laser. I'm getting a VersaLaser VLS 3.60 with a 30 watt laser. Should be getting it in about 3-4 weeks.

I was starting to line up some suppliers for materials, and was wondering if anyone knows of a good supplier for blank stainless steel strips to make rulers. I have a pretty good idea that I hope will sell, but I want to try a few to see how they come out.

Thanks in advance,

Brian C

Steve Clarkson
04-23-2009, 3:13 PM
Congrats! And good luck!

Phyllis Meyer
04-23-2009, 5:16 PM
Brian,

Welcome to the creek and best of luck with your new venture! I sent you an email about some suppliers. Lots of good reading here at the creek, these folks are the best!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Mike Mackenzie
04-23-2009, 6:09 PM
Brian,

I have a bunch of 8" long blanks if you want to pm me your mailing address I will send you a few to play with. I believe that we got these from ID plates in Texas.

Gary Hair
04-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Brian,
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Creek!

I would suggest checking with a local metal fab shop, preferrably one with a laser. I have a vendor that has a 2K watt machine and cuts stainless for me all the time. Most of the small pieces he cuts for me come from scrap from other jobs he is running and he only charges me laser time. I had him make me a bunch of stainless business card blanks and they ran me about $0.40 each - grained on one side and DA sanded on the back.

I would recommend making friends with those shops, you never know when they may need a few thousand parts marked and want to use one of their loyal customers to do the job...

Gary