PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recomendations for backsaw tooth configuration

Wendell Wilkerson
08-02-2004, 10:42 PM
I've picked up three back saws, a 10" saw and 2 12" saws, that I want to get sharpened. I want to get the 10" sharpened cross-cut for use as a fine cutoff saw. I'll have one 12" saw sharpened cross-cut and the other rip. These will be my main joinery saws. What TPI would y'all recommend for these saws?

Wendell

Jerry Palmer
08-03-2004, 10:07 AM
I like 14 to 16 TPI for joinery saws. A fine cut, though can be time consuming. I do this stuff because it's fun, so speed is not any issue with me.

Alan Turner
08-03-2004, 11:11 AM
I think I would go with 15 tpi on both the rip and cross cut used for joinery, and probably 12 tpi on the other cross-cut saw. 15 tpi is plenty fine for joinery, in my experience, and the 12 pt. will cut a bit quicker for more general work.
I find that most of my hand saw joinery cuts are rip cuts, such as tenons and dovetails. For rough and quick cutoffs, I tend to grab my Jap saw as it is fast cutting, lightweight, etc. However, I am not find of the Jap. saw for joinery, but that is just personal.
Alan

Jerry Palmer
08-03-2004, 2:47 PM
Also on the rip joinery saw, you might see if you can't get the rake angle set a bit more than the normal 8 degrees. One thing I've heard and read a number of times about the stock DTs is the trouble getting the cut started while keeping the cut square across the piece, and at a bevel for the tails. Maybe a 10 or 12 degree rake would help significantly.

Richard Gillespie
08-04-2004, 7:10 AM
Also on the rip joinery saw, you might see if you can't get the rake angle set a bit more than the normal 8 degrees. One thing I've heard and read a number of times about the stock DTs is the trouble getting the cut started while keeping the cut square across the piece, and at a bevel for the tails. Maybe a 10 or 12 degree rake would help significantly.
I have just recently started sharpening my own saws. So far, so good. Therefore, I've been doing research both on the net and in books on methods used.

The rip saw tooth is like a series of chisels. The books recommend starting at 8 degrees for ease of starting the cut but state that the closer you get to 0 degrees the better the cutting action, just harder to start. I would think the higher numbers you are considering would adversely affect the cutting ability of a rip saw.

Jerry Palmer
08-04-2004, 9:39 AM
My understanding is the steeper rake angle (closer to 0 degrees) the more agressive the cut. With an agressive cut, you get a somewhat rougher cut. Along with an easier to start saw, the more rake angle gives a smoother cut, albeit a slower one. Of course, at higher TPI, the smoothness may not be much improved as the smaller teeth are already taking smaller bites giving a smooth cut.