PDA

View Full Version : Cutting corner off island post.

Brett Nelson
04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm building cabs for my master bath that are very similar to these. Just wondering the best way to quarter cut only the top portion of the turned posts. Any ideas?

David DeCristoforo
04-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Are you turning the posts yourself? If so, the "best" way is to rip the post stock in half. Then split one piece so that you have one half and two quarter pieces. Cut one of the quarter pieces at the point where the notch will stop. Then laminate the half piece, the full length quarter piece and the lower section of the quarter piece you cut to make the notch, being careful to align the grains. Finally, glue in the upper section of the "notch" piece but put some strips of paper between the glued faces. Then turn the leg and break out the upper section of the notch. The paper will make it easy to break the glue lines.

If you are using purchased posts, ask the supplier if they will notch them for you. Many suppliers of these components will do the notching for a small additional fee. If not, then you will have to make a jig to hold the turned posts and make stopped cuts on a table saw. You will need to finish the notches with chisels. You could also rig up something with a router and straight bit but that is going to be a lot of routing!

Brett Nelson
04-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Was planning to get the posts from Osborne Wood. Maybe I can get them to do it.

David DeCristoforo
04-23-2009, 1:10 PM
I know "Classic Designs" does notching. Not sure about Osborne.....