PDA

View Full Version : Another companion video - Square Plate

Bob Hamilton
04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi:
I have uploaded a series of video segments to YouTube as a companion video for my pictorial article on turning a square plate. There are seven segments with a run time of just over an hour. I generated a playlist to make finding them easier:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C8938CE91B063854

Take care
Bob

Steve Frederick
04-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Another wonderful video!
Thanks!

Joshua Dinerstein
04-24-2009, 6:06 PM
Another great video. Thanks for sharing them Bob. And by all means keep going. :)

I have a question for you tho. I noticed that you use a smaller chuck with 2 tommy bars most of the time. I was just wondering why? Seems like these days most people use a scroll chuck with gears and a T wrench to drive it. I was just wondering why you choose that chuck over the others when on occasion you us those too.

Thanks,
Joshua

Bob Hamilton
04-24-2009, 6:50 PM
Thanks, all.

Joshua, I use the tommy bar chucks more because I find them quicker and more convenient than the key operated chucks. Making large changes in the jaw positions is much faster because you don't even need a tool, you just grip the ring and give the chuck a spin. Smaller changes can be made by steadying the chuck body with your last three fingers and rotating the ring with the thumb and index finger. You just need to pick up the tommy bars for the final tightening and the holes they fit into are right out there where they are easily visible. I sometimes have to fumble a bit to get the Talon key seated properly because once you have started it into the hole you can't see what you are doing.

The main thing is that I think I have more of a feel for how much pressure I am exerting with the tommy bars chucks. The mechanical advantage of the key operated chucks makes it very easy to overtighten unintentionally. I keep the #3 jaws on the Talon most of the time because I generally only use it for larger workpieces where the extra tightening power might be an advantage.

Take care
Bob

Joshua Dinerstein
04-24-2009, 7:58 PM
Joshua, I use the tommy bar chucks more because I find them quicker and more convenient than the key operated chucks.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I always appreciate having more information. I was talking to a friend at work today about getting one and he thought I was kind of nuts. I have just been something of a collector lately when it comes to wood turning tools and accessories. I do use them but I am not sure I need them all. I think this is one that could be very useful for me.

What kind/brand of tommy bar chuck is that you use in your videos?

Thanks,
Joshua

Mike Stephens
04-24-2009, 8:29 PM
Yea Bob. Bob Bob Bob Bob Bob. The crowd goes wild when Hamilton is up at bat.

Keep TURNING out those videos Bob. They are great.

Thanks,
Mike

Peter Lamb
04-24-2009, 8:40 PM
Once again what Steve and Joshua have said!! Even I could follow your advice so wonderfully given. One question though, how come not at least 3000 RPMs?
Peter

Bob Hamilton
04-24-2009, 9:07 PM
Hi, Joshua:
The tommy bar chucks I have are both Oneway basic chucks. The jaws are all interchangeable with the Talon.

Peter: Square pieces in the size of 6" to 10" I usually turn at 1200 to 1500 rpm. Since the piece is square you are not turning air nearly as much as when turning one of the winged boxes which starts as a long rectangle. I did find that the higher speed helped on the miniature winged boxes (5" to 7" long) but when I later mounted a larger blank (~11" long) I found 3500 rpm to be a bit outside my comfort zone and backed it down to about 2500 rpm. It still cut well at the lower speed.

Take care
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2009, 9:20 PM
Great video Bob. Thanks for sharing.