PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Fence on Grizzly 513X2?

Edward Garrett
04-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I have struggled with re-sawing in the past, and based on advice from the gents here on SMC and reading a few books/articles I am really making some great progress.

I have the Grizzly G0513X2 bandsaw, and I am considering replacing the (upgraded) re-saw fence on it with the Kreg Precision Fence. However, the Kreg fence looks like it is designed for 14" saws, and after speaking with the folks at Kreg they said the fence would fit if I drilled some new holes. I have search the forum to see if anyone has done something similar (not much luck)....

If any of you have installed a Kreg fence on your Grizzly 17" bandsaw, I would love to hear about your experience and result.

Any other suggestions for an after market fence (my budget is ~$150 max)??

THANKS!

Bill Huber
04-23-2009, 11:28 AM
I have the Kreg fence on my Jet 14 but I am just about ready to make my own for re-sawing. I just don't feel the fence is tall enough and would like to have a little more stability when re-sawing a 6 inch board.

I have the 4 1/2 inch re-saw guide but I find with a good blade on the saw I can get a much better cut with a flat fence. With a 1/2 inch blade, set up correctly I just do not get any drift.

The fence is really a great fence for other things and I really like but just not for re-sawing.

Jason Beam
04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
I have the G0513x2 and I can't imagine a single reason the Kreg fence would be better than the one that came with my saw.

For one thing, it's taller by quite a margin. Second, it's got a good bit of cast iron that helps keep it rigid.

What kind of problems are you having that leads you to think your fence is at fault?

I'm able to slice 1/16" thick veneers off of 12" wide boards with NO problem using a 3/4" Timberwolf blade and the stock fence. Why do you want to replace your fence?

Edward Garrett
04-23-2009, 1:15 PM
... Why do you want to replace your fence?

It's not that I am necessarily having trouble or dissappointed with with the Grizzly fence - I am excited about the progress I am making and want to continue in that direction. I am looking in to the Kreg fence to see if it would make a difference, and my post is intended to solicit responses from anyone who might have already done this - both in terms of the installation as well as whether or not they felt it was worth the time/effort/$$.

Thanks, Ed

Paul Johnstone
04-23-2009, 2:49 PM
I
If any of you have installed a Kreg fence on your Grizzly 17" bandsaw, I would love to hear about your experience and result.

I installed a Kreg fence on an 18" Rikon. There is no need to drill holes in your bandsaw. Just use a piece of aluminum "angle iron", attach it to the fence, and then use the existing mouting mechanism on your BS to secure it.

Basically, fabricate an aluminum adapter.. My Rikon had mounting holes for the fence under the table, for instance. (Not on the side of the table, as Kreg expects).

And yes, the upgrade was definitely worth it for me. I like my Rikon saw, but the fence that came with it was not very good. I don't know how good the Griz fence is.

Another hint.. You can buy longer pieces of the Kreg fence (the T-Track piece). I forget what it is called, but I bought mine on Amazon.

Cary Falk
04-23-2009, 3:01 PM
I have the G0513x2 and I like the fence very much. I have not had any experience with the KREG. I also fall in the camp that you probably will not get any improvement from the swap. If you want a different fence I think the only better one would be the Driftmaster made by Laguna? I don't have on but have read a lot of positive things about it.

Jim Kountz
04-23-2009, 3:56 PM
I dont think you would gain enough from the Kreg over the stock fence to justify the time/expense. I can consistently slice ridiculously thin pieces with the stock fence. Dont know what there is to improve on really.

Edward Garrett
04-23-2009, 8:01 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback gents....looks like a Kreg fence may not be an upgrade after all!

Chris Ricker
04-23-2009, 9:45 PM
Ed;
I'm not sure what you are looking for but the stock fence and a good blade should do you fine.
I can slice very nice veneers with the stock fence with no problems. if you have a specific problem let us know and we should be able to help.

glenn bradley
04-23-2009, 9:54 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback gents....looks like a Kreg fence may not be an upgrade after all!

Here's the only upgrade I needed: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107952

Edward Garrett
04-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I just want to send a thanks to all who "answered my plea"....not only did I get good, constructive feedback; but I also got suggestions and offers for future help if/when needed...

This is a GREAT forum!!