PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of used equipment from a commercial shop?

Kelvin McConnell
04-23-2009, 9:11 AM
What is the opinion of used equipment from a commercial shop? I have a line on a Grizzly 1018 8” jointer for $250. This is a 1992 model, 220V, with guards and it’s supposed to be in good shape. The shop probably has 5-8 people working in it so it's probably been used pretty much.

I currently have an almost new JT360 6” that has been fine for what I’ve done so far. Also, I’m not quite finish with my shop in the basement, but I’ve been buying tools when I come across a good deal. I live in an area where good tools don’t come up for sale very often. Actually I’ll be driving 1.5-2 hours (one way) to see this one.

If this had been from an individual for $250, I’d think it was a really good deal, but I’m a little hesitant since its coming from a commercial shop. If I have to replace the motor and/or bearings in the near future you’re coming close to the price of a new Grizzly with cashback.

Todd Hoppe
04-23-2009, 9:13 AM
I just bought a spiral cutterhead for my G0586. Using MS Cash Back it was about $280. If the motor is solid and the cutterhead fits the jointer you described, you could have a really nice 8" spiral cutterhead jointer for about $500...

Jerome Hanby
04-23-2009, 9:16 AM
If I could listen to it running and it sounded good (and smelled good, no massive ozone or burning smell), I'd jump on it. I'm no expert, but I'd think likely replacements would be blades and bearings, shouldn't be that expensive, especially if you can do all the work yourself.

If you don't pull the trigger and this beasty is anywhere near Birmingham, AL, I'd appreciate a referral!

Rod Sheridan
04-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Kelvin, from reading posts on this forum, I've been led to believe that Grizzly have improved their machine quality substantially over the years.

If that's the case, I'd pass on an old machine from them.

As to buying used machinery from a shop, there are many excellent industrial grade machines sold for a small fraction of their original price. Well used and maintained isn't the same as neglected, if the machine is in good shape, it's worth purchasing.

Regards, Rod.

Kelvin McConnell
04-23-2009, 10:16 AM
A little more info: the bearings has been replaced and it comes with an extra set of blades. They also have a moblie base for it for an extra $35.

From the posts above, it looks like its 2 for and 1 againist.

Some additional info, he responded saying that several people are interested, but they'll hold it for me since I was the first responder. He wants my credit card info to put a hold on the card. I'm a little leery of this, but it appears they do have a legitimate business (double checked several sources online). First I would never send credit card info by email since it’s not secure, but I said I could call him.

Bob Aquino
04-23-2009, 2:03 PM
I don't know that I would jump on it for two reasons, first that Taiwanese equpment from the early 90's wasn't as good as it is today. Second, (and I know some folks will take exception to this) that much of the Aisian offshore equipment is not of the same industrial quality of older American machinery. Most of what is made today is for home use where 30 years ago it was designed for some sort of production shop. The fact that some of these machines have been used in that setting for a few years, does not mean that they are up to the same level of quality as older american equipment. If it was an older Delta or Powermatic machine, I would say sure, go for it. But then again, for 250 you probably wont go too far wrong.

David DeCristoforo
04-23-2009, 2:24 PM
1st off the credit card thing is bogus. I would run just on that score alone. But the same rules would apply to buying any other used equipment. You cannot assume that what you think of as "well maintained" is the same as what he means by "well maintained". I have seen equipment come out of commercial shops looking like new. And much more of it looking like it has had the crap kicked out of it. Buying a used machine "sight unseen"? Very risky in any situation esp. if you have to pay in full before you ever even see it. I am no great fan of Chinese machinery but I don't see where that is the main issue here.

Bruce Page
04-23-2009, 2:41 PM
The quality of Grizzly machines has come a looooong way from what it was in '92. A friend of mine had an early '90s 6" and it was a total POC.
I would look it over closely.

Paul Johnstone
04-23-2009, 2:45 PM
The credit card number request seems reasonable to me. The guy probably has several guys willing to buy it if the OP turns it down. I'm sure the shop is in a hurry to get it sold (aren't we all in a hurry to get something sold once we put it up for sale?)

If I was the OP, I'd drive down there as soon as possible with money in hand and evaluate it in person. Today, if possible. Also, try to figure out why they are selling it.. Did they just buy a bigger jointer? That would make me feel more comfortable.

Would I buy it? Probably not. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. It wasn't intended to.

Kelvin McConnell
04-23-2009, 4:07 PM
I'm probably going to pass. The reason they are selling it is that they bought a 12" jointer. (wouldn't that be nice). Since I'm not needing a jointer right now, I can hold off plus my next semi "planned" purchase was going to be a bigger bandsaw 17" or greater. As always thanks for the input.

george wilson
04-23-2009, 4:14 PM
I don't get the credit card thing. If you finally say no,what good has holding your card number done him? Maybe you wake up one day,and are the owner of the machine?

Paul Johnstone
04-23-2009, 5:17 PM
I don't get the credit card thing. If you finally say no,what good has holding your card number done him? Maybe you wake up one day,and are the owner of the machine?

I assume a deposit would be charged. Sure, I guess the CC holder could always dispute it, but it's reasonable to ask for a nonrefundable deposit to hold a machine for a buyer.

David DeCristoforo
04-23-2009, 5:24 PM
"...but it's reasonable to ask for a nonrefundable deposit to hold a machine..."

I would agree in principal. But in this case the tool has not even been seen by the "buyer". So a non-refundable deposit would be inappropriate.

Steve H Graham
04-23-2009, 5:37 PM
I got a Shop Fox 19" band saw for $850, which is pretty good. Came from a cabinet shop. I bought it a few months ago, and it was made in 2006. The guy who owned it advertised it as having been used for only a few cuts; that turned out to be BS, but it was in excellent condition, and as far as I'm concerned, "excellent" is worth about as much as "near-mint." Take a near-mint tool, use it five times, and it drops to excellent. Use it twenty times, and it's very good. I got a good deal.

But I got to look at it before I paid. Also, the cabinet shop it came from was in the process of going boobs-up, and they weren't doing much with their tools. Generally, I'd be afraid of commercial equipment unless I knew the seller by reputation, got a chance to look at the machinery, or was able to send someone to check it out.

Right now I have a big ol' metal lathe on the way, sight unseen, from another state. I chose this seller because of his reputation. I actually picked him over a local dealer whom I knew less about. I figured the odds of being screwed by the out of state guy were much lower than the odds that I would end up taking the local guy to small claims court.

Peter Scoma
04-23-2009, 5:42 PM
I think its a good thing that you passed. These guys know what they are selling and its probably priced for what it is worth.
PS

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-23-2009, 9:01 PM
Depends on how they used (or abused) it.
Like any piece of used machinery the buyer's gotta examine it and make a judgment call.

Jeremy Brant
04-24-2009, 8:31 PM
I just bought a 1018 last week that's about 10 years old. Not sure of the exact date. I need to put a new set of knives in it since they were nicked pretty bad (2 sets on order right now), but with the good sections of the knife (outer 5") it's a great finish. The table is very good, though it's 10" shorter than newer 8" jointers. From the research I did, the 1018 was regarded as one of their better machines at that time. How it compares to something newer I don't know. I paid $375 for mine including mobile base and thought I got a pretty decent deal. The owner was selling all of his machines due to poor health, and claimed to have only put about 500 board feet through the machine in the past 10 years. Here's mine:

Chip Lindley
04-24-2009, 9:47 PM
Peter, in an ODD way (that you did not intend) You Are Right! Commercial shops amortize their equipment! When it is fully depreciated it is only worth *scrap value*! Sold for more than *scrap value* causes a Capital Gain to the business! Uncle Sam eats up any excess from the sale anyhow....SO the fully depreciated machine is sold VERY CHEAPLY!

In the '80s I bought many machines dirt-cheap this way! They have served me well! Worth at least 2 or 3 times what I paid for them on the open market! Well-used woodworking machinery can be a very attractive bargain! IMO, bearings and motors are NOT a big deal! Cracked cast iron or missing vintage parts IS! The old saying: "Buyer Beware," should read, "Buyer be Educated!"