PDA

View Full Version : Help with plate attachment

Albert Nix
04-23-2009, 8:49 AM
Hi folks I am tring something new and I want it to work the first time so I would like suggestions from those who have had success with simular issues. I have to attach an engraved plate to the back of a park bench. The plate is .018 (cermarked)stainless 2" X 20" and the bench is made from cypress wood that has been sealed. I can use stainless screws but I would rather stick it on. Will plaque tape or banner hem tape hold it in the weather? What about silicone? I am willing to listen to any suggestions. Thanks
Al

Steven Wallace
04-23-2009, 8:51 AM
It doesn't take a lot but will be there forever.

Bill Cunningham
04-23-2009, 9:58 PM
I usually use nice round head stainless screws. Try to find the ones that have half the slot gone so they can be tightend but not backed out. And, put a good layer of silicone adhesive (or gorilla glue) on the back for extra security.. Customer perception on things like that, is if they can't see whats holding it on, they think it's probably not as secure as they would like..

Joe Pelonio
04-23-2009, 10:05 PM
I mount signs all the time with VHB foam tape or banner tape and silicone, with the tape holding it until the silicone sets. In this case, though, it's more susceptible to vandals than most signs and could be easily pried off with a knife or screwdriver. In those cases I use square or torx headed screws, most people don't carry the tip to remove them.

Gary Hair
04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
I would be inclined to use all of the suggestions here and add one more - a pocket for it to fit into. If you recess it into the bench, use silicone and tamper-proof screws, it's not going anywhere.

Gary

Albert Nix
04-24-2009, 2:36 PM
Thanks Guys. I ended up using Stainless screws and banner tape.