PDA

View Full Version : build drawers or cabinet first?

tom coleman
04-23-2009, 8:45 AM
I want to build a cabinet with drawers as in insert into recently built workbench. Drawers will be roughly 8 to 10 inches high and will store mostly hand power tools.

I recall a suggestion that it is better to build drawers first and then construct cabinet to hold them. What do the pros do?

What is a good material for drawer sides and bottom? I like 1/2 inch baltic birch but it is a bit pricey

Gary Redden
04-23-2009, 9:00 AM
I always build the cabinet first for the space it will be placed then the drawers that will be in the cabinet.

The material I build the drawers of depends on the piece the drawers will be in. If they are going to be a normal cabinet then baltic birch but if it going to be in a piece of fine furniture than solid wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom.

I know that BB is getting kind of expensive but I belive the results are worth the price as you can cut dovetails in BB without the worry of voids in the material.

Gary

Bill Huber
04-23-2009, 9:02 AM
There was a large thread on just this subject not very long ago, I can't fine it right now but if you do some looking I bet you can.

As for me I build the cabinet first and then the drawers. In the shop I used pine for the drawers with a hard board bottom. full ball bearing slides. I guess I build the drawers last because if I screw up it is easier to redo a drawer then the cabinet.

Eric Roberge
04-23-2009, 9:27 AM
+1 for the cabinet 1st.
Like Bill said, it's easier to fit the drawer to the cabinet vs. the cabinet to the drawer.

David DeCristoforo
04-23-2009, 9:34 AM
I don't know about drawers but when I used to build houses we always built the interior walls first and then built the outside walls and roof to fit... And auto makers always build their cars around the seats. Actually I think you should make the drawer pulls first. The build the drawers to fit the pulls, the cabinet to fit the drawers and then the bench to fit... oh no, wait... that won't work... you already built the bench! Too bad. Oh well, live and learn. I guess you'll just have to do it backwards this time.....

John Thompson
04-23-2009, 10:38 AM
As stated... tis easier to final size a drawer to a cabinet than a cabinet to a drawer. Horse before the cart. ;)

Sarge..