PDA

View Full Version : Taking pics of your turned pens??

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Well...I keep having problems with the quality of the pics of my turned pens. Most of them are cherry, maple, walnut, oak and such but others are turned from acrylic.

My question is: How do you take pics of your pens to where the colors and grain show up in the pics? Is it a lighting issue? The dummy behind the camera or what? I would like some honest suggestions to this as I hate making nice pens while ending up with pics of pens that looks like they all are the same pen...no figure, no real color to speak of.

Jim Ketron
08-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Hello Dennis

I had the same prob the last few pens I have posted. I used the scan on my printer.
Jim

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/Atomizer_pencil_pen.sized.jpg
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/ph_pens.sized.jpg

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2004, 10:36 PM
I have a flatbed scanner I could use...just never thought about using it. I have a 6 Megapixel digital camera I'm taking the pics with. Maybe I need to experiment with various light settings.?

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-02-2004, 11:09 PM
I found that putting the pens on a dark background caused the picture to be very dark. By using a white background, the pictures turn out lighter. Then I make any necessary adjustments with a Photo Program, before submitting them.

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Here is a pic of a pen I did and the pic turned out "ok"...but not great. Sure didn't do the pen any real justice with the pic. :(

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Hello Dennis

I had the same prob the last few pens I have posted. I used the scan on my printer.
Jim

So how did you get the background so "smooth"?

Jim Ketron
08-02-2004, 11:29 PM
So how did you get the background so "smooth"?I just poped them in the scanner.
The one with the black background I had a prob with the pens moving when I closed the lid so I finaly left it open and it had a black background to it!
BTW your pen looks AWESOME nice figure
Jim

Zahid Naqvi
08-03-2004, 1:09 AM
Here is a pic of a pen I did and the pic turned out "ok"...but not great. Sure didn't do the pen any real justice with the pic. :(

Dennis as far as this picture is concerned it is slightly out of focus. The next time I come by your shop remember to talk about the pen pictures, I can show you some simple tricks to improve the lighting.