PDA

View Full Version : Rough out this morning

Jeff Nicol
04-23-2009, 7:18 AM
With the chips a flying and the sap sticking them to me like fly paper I roughed out this big White pine vase/vessel. It is 24"x14" it has no knots in it and should turn out very nice! Had to have help getting it mounted but it was worth it. I plan on doing some carving on it when it is finished so I wanted it very clean. I wish you all could smell my shop as the smell of fresh cut pine is hard to beat! The old Powermatic just loves the big stuff!

Jeff

Bill O'Conner
04-23-2009, 7:57 AM
Jeef if you get much bigger you might have to talk to Max about get one of his bed extentions

nice looking piece

Bill

Jeff Nicol
04-23-2009, 8:05 AM
Funny you should mention the bed extention, I was buying some steel to make my steady rests and I thought of the need for a bed extention. So I got some 3"x4"x1/2" angle to get the ways made. Now I need some time to get it done! I have 3 of the 20" steadies to weld up and 8 more quotes went out in the last week! I need to clone myself back to when I was 30 years old and had good shoulders! I push through the pain and love every minute of it!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2009, 8:23 AM
That's quite the chunk of wood! Good thing you have people that will clean up that mess for you! So, what is it going to be - other than impressive?

Mike Stephens
04-23-2009, 8:45 AM
Very cool Jeff. Keep the pics coming.

Mike Minto
04-23-2009, 9:48 AM
Nice to see someone else's workshop that looks about the same size as mine, and as cluttered (I mean, er, full) and covered with wood shavings...now all I need is that Powermatic! Oh, yeah - impressive chunka wood - will that be a large art vase? Mike :)

Burt Alcantara
04-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Did you wear a rain coat? Last time I turned pine I had to buy a new face shield and scrub the ceiling.

BTW, your lathe is bleeding. Please take care of that soon or I'll report you to the Mustard Police.

Burt

Mike Svoma
04-23-2009, 1:47 PM
Looks like the one that I stuck to my hand the other day when I was at your shop.;););) I remember that one had quite a bit of sap in it.....or at least the end I set my hand down on.

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2009, 4:18 PM
That is going to be a great looking piece Jeff. Keep the pic's coming as you progress.

Bill Bolen
04-23-2009, 5:03 PM
What ever it is going to be I'm looking forward to it! Glad I don't have to shovel out the curlies though...Bill..

Jeff Nicol
04-23-2009, 6:23 PM
Hey all!

I plan on it being a big floor vase that I will so some carving on a band somewhere near the top. Not sure what until it is dry and ready to finish. It took 2 1/2 hours at the doctor, lab, and pharmacy, by the time I got home I had to go get my ATV and small disc for my brother and parts for my tractor. So I never got back to it to get started on the hollowing. I will post a picture of the sap weeping out of it as it sits on the lathe, it looks pretty cool!

Mike, It is not the one you got stuck to the other day but it's bigger brother! I have some more that are bigger but they had a couple knots and I wanted this one clean and free of them.

Thanks for checking it out, I like all the stuff in my shop too! It give it that worked in look! I had on a clunker sweat shirt and it is pretty sticky right now, my wife may toss it in the trash, but it is one of my favorites!

Jeff

Brian McInturff
04-23-2009, 9:18 PM
Now that's a Hoss!!

Jim Kountz
04-24-2009, 8:50 AM
Thats a big un!! Cant wait to see it done!!

Jeff Nicol
04-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Good evening all,

Here are the pics I promised of the pine sap weeping out of the big pine vase. Also pic of a brace I put up to the ceiling to keep the steady a bit more steady. No matter what I did this piece of wood was heavier on one side and wanted to wobble a bit. The brace let get the speed up to 500 with no trouble, once it got spinning good the water in it must have shifted around after I got in to it a few inches. Anyway I should get it all roughed out tomorrow and get it drying. There is a picture of the last bunch of larger vases I have drying. Some Red oak, Hard maple, White birch and more White pine. Thanks for looking

Jeff