PDA

View Full Version : Found wood

Matt Newton
04-23-2009, 7:00 AM
I was at the dump yesterday and happened to see some logs with amazing tumors on them. I don't know how, but when I got home they somehow had ended up in the back of my truck. ;) I think they are willow. Has anyone out there turned willow? I know it is a softer wood. Is it worth giving it a try or should I return these runaway logs back to their home at the dump? By the way, I think SWMBO is starting to notice the growing pile of misfit logs slowly growing next to the house.:rolleyes:

Dick Sowa
04-23-2009, 7:29 AM
I have a couple hunks of willow that I got during our last turning club raffle, and have started a small hollow form. It turns well, is (like you said) on the softer side, but seems like it has some good figure.

Although whenever I think of willow, my mind goes back to Grandma and her threat to whoop me with a willow switch :)

Bill O'Conner
04-23-2009, 8:00 AM
Found wood always turns good if only for practice

Bill

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2009, 8:04 AM
Congrats on your wood score Matt! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Belton Garvin
04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
I took out a willow tree last year that was dieing. I've turned a couple pieces of it into bowls. Not sure if it is normal characteristics but mine turned really stringy. Tear out was horrible and hard to control. Very sharp tools were a must. Bowls were really, really light weight when finished.
This one cracked while drying but the crack closed back up tight and unnoticeable by the time it was done. None of them have what I would call nice figure but the color changes through the wood turned out nice.

Good luck and can't wait to see what you get out of yours.

Burt Alcantara
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Willow is a great wood. I've turned almost an entire tree. It will be stringy with a lot of tear out but it finishes as smooth as your abilities. As it is a soft wood, it is easy to turn dry. If you let the wood season, it will develop nice figure.

Burt