PDA

View Full Version : Question about degrees and master programs

Mat Ashton
04-23-2009, 6:51 AM
Hi all

Long story short... I had a meeting with the dean of the business faculty of the university I attend, I'm doing a bachelors of business in accounting and one in environmental management (a legacy from other education). He blindsided me by offering me a seat in a masters of business administration. He seemed to be putting the hard sell on... I was suspect right away in that he was saying I didn't have to take the traditional method of an undergraduate degree program first but go straight to the masters...

It seems like these programs are more inclined to be pulp degrees in that they're just cranking out master degrees like IT schools crank out MCSE...

Anyone had any experience with this sort of education system and what weight does business give it.

Rob Cunningham
04-23-2009, 9:09 AM
Mat,
My son is enrolled in the BA/MA engineering program at his university. He is taking both under-grad and grad level classes. It's a lot of work now, but seems to be a good way to go.

Roger Myers
04-23-2009, 9:19 AM
Matt,

An MBA from a respected university with a well credentialed graduate program can be a valuable asset. You will find that most of the institutions that meet that criteria rarely accept candidates that have not had a number of years (typically 5-10) of relevant business experience after receiving their undergraduate degree. There are exceptions of course, and this is certainly not a universal policy, but it is believed (and I agree) that the practical business experience plays a very significant role in both the students education and in the graduate school environment (as it contributes a lot of varied real-life experiences and case studies to the educational experience).
PM me if you would like, with more info about your current university, and their pitch...

As a hiring manager, I look to the candidates entire experience, both professional and educational, but I would give more consideration to a candidate with work experience between his undergrad and grad degrees, all other things being equal.

Just reading Rob's post... Note - this is different for MBA's and engineering degrees...quite common to take the engineering masters route, and that works well. I am speaking about an MBA track.

And I avoid virtually all candidates who have received their degrees from diploma mills.

Roger

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
My 2.5 ¢ adjusted for inflation.

Times have changed: The MBA ain't what it was.
If one wishes to go the MBA route or even the undergrad business school route and enter business as an exec making a serious income -ever - it is pretty much an absolute requirement that the university or college attended be most carefully selected.

Which of course all boils down to: Brown, Yale, Princeton, Wharton, Annapolis, West Point: that sort of thing.
The second tier schools will be those in line with Franklin & Marshal. And boy oh boy is there a big difference between the top tier and the second and it's worse on down the line.

State schools and other private schools tend to crank out the working folks who end up doing all the heavy lifting.

It's is the network that one acquires in college that makes the difference. One does not get that network of sons and daughters of the wealthy and powerful by attending state school. It 's that network that one must cultivate and rely on to get anywhere meaningful. Without it one will find oneself in the madding crowd chasing rat's tails for rat food.
Geebus that sounds cynical doesn't it?

Yah well I am a cynic about most things, I guess. That college you were talking about sounds (to my ear) like it's not getting enough students to pay the bills in that program. Avoid it.

On the other hand if the President of Wharton is asking you to sign up - do it, don't hesitate.

Mind you I ain't saying that one can't graduate from Rutgers or Ohio State (etc.) and make it to the top of his or her game earning a top tier income. However, the odds long - very, very long. The odds are way better if one matriculated the Ivy league etc., schools where the wealthiest people send their kids.

As to going as an adult. Oh my hevean~!! It's a whole different ball of sticky tar.

I went to a top 50 law school as an adult. I commuted 45 miles each way to school each day.
I can count the valuable connections I made without getting past Zero. It's tough as an adult when surrounded by children. You don't fit in. They know it you know it and that's all she wrote. You don't build the network because you are not part of the social scene.

So I guess unless you are really clear where the education is going to lead - be cautious, be very cautious. It's time and money you can't get back.