PDA

View Full Version : OT - Gas Stove not Lighting

Russ Filtz
08-02-2004, 9:55 PM
Just wondering what's wrong with my stove before it blows up. All the top burners work fine, good flame, no gas smells when off, etc. However the oven part has started to work intermittently and now pretty much not at all. First I put a pizza in an left it for 20 min., came back expected it cooked and there was no flame and some gas smell :eek:

After that it seemed to work fine for awhile, but now I can't get it to light at all. It's pilotless and the starter seems to glow fine, but there seems to be just a very small amount of gas flow the won't light. I'm thinking there must be a thermostatic valve or something like a furnace. The stove is probably 8-10 years old (Hotpoint). Is it worth replacing something like that, or just buy a new one?

Dale Thompson
08-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Russ,
I'd say that you need a new thermocouple in the oven. If the thermocouple is not working properly, it will not feed enough gas into the pilot to keep it lit. When the oven "ignites", the gas pressure will blow out the pilot and shut off the oven.

Let's hear from some pros!! :) Do any of you folks out there have anything but campstoves and firepits to cook your roadkill?? ;) :) :D

Dale T.

Carole Valentine
08-03-2004, 12:07 AM
If you get a new one, take a look at the dual fuel ones...electric oven and gas cook top. Gas is great for the cook top because you have so much more control over the heat, but it sure is lousy for baking compared to an electric oven.

Jason Roehl
08-03-2004, 7:39 AM
After that it seemed to work fine for awhile, but now I can't get it to light at all. It's pilotless and the starter seems to glow fine, but there seems to be just a very small amount of gas flow the won't light. I'm thinking there must be a thermostatic valve or something like a furnace. The stove is probably 8-10 years old (Hotpoint). Is it worth replacing something like that, or just buy a new one?
Dale's got a good possibility with the thermocouple there, but it could also be the igniter. I had to replace the igniter on my gas oven last year, and the guy at the parts place said that even though it glows, it may be done. Plus, an igniter is generally cheaper than a thermocouple. You'll see the difference when you put in the new igniter. The new one will glow almost white, whereas, I'll bet you're seeing an orange-ish glow right now. The parts store dude also said that the igniter is more likely to go than the thermocouple (but those can go too).

Hope that helps!

Russ Filtz
08-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Yep, only getting an orange glow. I tried lighting with a gas BBQ lighter while the ignitor was glowing and there wasn't enough gas to start. I'd get a tiny flash of fire every few seconds.

Jason Roehl
08-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Yep, only getting an orange glow. I tried lighting with a gas BBQ lighter while the ignitor was glowing and there wasn't enough gas to start. I'd get a tiny flash of fire every few seconds.
Sounds like it's probably the igniter, then. If that igniter doesn't get hot enough (or have the right resistance? I dunno for sure), the thermocouple won't open.

Peter Stahl
08-04-2004, 9:43 AM
A repairman will probaly want $60 just to look at it. Can you get the parts that cheep. If it were me I'd try a igniter first. I usually try myself first if it's easy to get to. The worst thing I had happen when doing a repair was I forgot to hook up the line for the water level in a washer. It overflowed, shut it off cleaned it up and connected the hose and everthing worked. I replaced the timer I think, been >20 years ago. I learn by my mistakes and boy do I do a lot of learnin'.

Pete

Russ Filtz
08-05-2004, 9:19 PM
Are these ignitors standard items, or will I need my specific Make/Model/Color/Month of Manuf., etc.! Any online sellers, or do the Borgs sell them, or do I need specialty shop?

Jason Roehl
08-06-2004, 8:23 AM
Are these ignitors standard items, or will I need my specific Make/Model/Color/Month of Manuf., etc.! Any online sellers, or do the Borgs sell them, or do I need specialty shop?
They're make/model specific as far as I know. If I remember right, they're expensive online, but available. I got mine at a local appliance parts store. I see you're located in the Chi-town area, surely there are a few parts stores around that could help you out.

Russ Filtz
08-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Yep, must be the ignitor. As I was taking it out, the element crumbled to dust! Problem is, seems like a hard part to find for my model. Sears Parts didn't have it local, but I could order by phone. Internet searches were fruitless for my specific model. Have to start calling :p

Peter Stahl
08-09-2004, 6:08 PM
Yep, must be the ignitor. As I was taking it out, the element crumbled to dust! Problem is, seems like a hard part to find for my model. Sears Parts didn't have it local, but I could order by phone. Internet searches were fruitless for my specific model. Have to start calling :p

Check the yellow pages for appliance parts store. All Sears appliances are made by one of the big appliance companies. Unless it's really old you should be able to get it and it's usually cheaper than Sears.

Pete