PDA

View Full Version : Nova tool rest

Andy Pogue
04-23-2009, 12:10 AM
I want to buy or have made a new tool rest for my DVR XP, problem is the shaft is just shy of 1" and the only aftermarket rest I can find is the round bar type. ( I already have the cross member) I wanted the type with drill rod along the top but can't find it in .995"x 5.25". Any help??

David Walser
04-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Andy,

Contact Brent English at Robust Tools, LLC. He has one of his "Comfort Tool Rests" for your Nova. Here's a link to the page that describes his tool rests. Click on the link for the "tool rest selection matrix" for a .pdf chart of all the lathes he makes rests for. Your DVR is listed.

http://turnrobust.com/Comfort_Tool_Rests.html

Good luck!

Paul Atkins
04-23-2009, 2:27 AM
5 thousandths small seems a bit odd - maybe get the hole reamed out to an inch so you have lots of choices.

Don Eddard
04-23-2009, 6:34 AM
Andy,

Contact Brent English at Robust Tools, LLC. He has one of his "Comfort Tool Rests" for your Nova. Here's a link to the page that describes his tool rests. Click on the link for the "tool rest selection matrix" for a .pdf chart of all the lathes he makes rests for. Your DVR is listed.

http://turnrobust.com/Comfort_Tool_Rests.html

Good luck!

+1. You'll have a hard time finding a better tool rest.

Gordon Seto
04-23-2009, 7:53 AM
I also have a DVR. I have no problem using 1" post tool rests from Oneway, Robust and Best Wood Tools.

BTW, you can't find nicer tool rest than the Robust.

Alan Trout
04-23-2009, 8:23 AM
I also have a DVR XP and have not found a 1" tool rest that I could not use. I agree with the others. I have a Robust rest and they are very nice. I will probably get more of them at some point.

Good Luck

Alan

Ralph Lindberg
04-23-2009, 9:41 AM
5 thousandths small seems a bit odd - maybe get the hole reamed out to an inch so you have lots of choices.

Em, no. He quoted the diameter correctly it EXACTLY equals 25mm (vrs 25.4 for a one inch post)

Ralph Lindberg
04-23-2009, 9:45 AM
Best Wood Tools make a modular post system, that includes the "undersize" posts like Teknatool, Grizzly, Sorby, etc

Joshua Dinerstein
04-23-2009, 11:29 AM
I want to buy or have made a new tool rest for my DVR XP, problem is the shaft is just shy of 1" and the only aftermarket rest I can find is the round bar type. ( I already have the cross member) I wanted the type with drill rod along the top but can't find it in .995"x 5.25". Any help??

I ran into this with my old HF lathe. The post was 25mm. I thought it was 1" and so what I bought didn't fit. Following Jim's advice from here on the Creek I got some heavy grit sand paper and wrapped it around the post squeezed slightly and just kept rotating it around. I found that the stuff I have for finishing wood didn't work too well. Wore out without seeming to cut the metal at all. I went to believe it or not HF and bought 20 sheets for 30-40grit for $1 and it went to town on the post. Within 15 minutes while doing it while watching TV and sitting on the couch I had it ready to go. I spent at least that long again trying to smooth it and polish it up a bit with lighter grits. Not it looks good and works great.

I would suggest giving that technique a whirl and see if it works for you.

Thanks to Jim for the original suggestion. Hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

Joshua

Paul Atkins
04-23-2009, 1:21 PM
He was using inch measurements in his post, so I assumed metric was not in the equation. I still think he should get it reamed out so he can use 1 inch. My old Delta banjo can use 5/8" to 1 1/8" posts making it versatile.