PDA

View Full Version : Ok I need you all to not think that I am crazy but I bought another lathe...

Joshua Dinerstein
04-22-2009, 10:18 PM
So this last Saturday I had the chance to buy a Jet EVS lathe. It was a Jet 1642 EVS lathe. Now I know what some of you are thinking, didn't you just buy a Mustard Monster? And the answer is yes. The problem is that it is still in the basement in pieces. No shop, no space, no 220v power, no fun. So I started looking around and I ran across a good deal on the Jet that only need 110. So I was weak and spent all fo the recent bonus from work and then some on the Jet. So now I have real speed control the chance to get down below 600 RPMs as the lowest speed.

I know that in the past I have posted a few comments about my HF 34706 being a good lathe. I fear I was seriously mistaken. The best I can say now is that it isn't total crap.

I can't tell you what a difference it is from the old green Harbor Freight lathe that I had in the garage to this new Jet. The weight, the stability, all of it! It is just so smooth! I chucked up the most recent bowl that was jerking the lathe around so bad it was unusable. By the 3rd revolution it looked like it was going to pop the whole headstock off of the lathe. It spun so true that I was able to just start right into turning. It was just so heavy that I was able to round it down and get to work without it trying to walk across the floor. I seriously can't tell you how big a difference it was! It is sheer pleasure now to turn on this lathe.

My wife came out while I was working on the outside of the bowl with the bowl gouge and just stared for a minute or two then asked me what I was doing?!!? As she put it I had this huge goofy grin on my face and was occasionally laughing out loud! It was just so much fun!

All of that stopping I was getting from the motor of the last one when turning bowls is gone. I was able to rough down and hog out the middle in a fraction of the time it has ever taken me and this was the largest bowl I have ever turned!

I hate to admit it but the bowl is substantially smaller than it could have been. The cutting was working so well and was so much fun I kept going playing with shapes and the cuts just enjoying how well it was working.

So now I am not sure what the outcome will be. Right now I want to keep both. If the Jet is the this good I can't help but think that the Mustard will be even better. I might sell the Mustard just to not be too crazy. But right now I can't imagine parting with this Jet.

It gets two thumbs WAY WAY up from me. No wonder Steve likes his so much. I would highly recommend the machine.

And lastly what I can say! This vortex thing is going to kill me or get me killed one of these days! hehehe

I will post some pictures once I find the camera....

Joshua

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
What? Another lathe? Are you nuts???

Congrats on your new lathe and I do completely understand the changes that can take place when you no longer have to fight the lathe to get any turning done!

I would highly suggest you wait on determining what to do with the Mustard. As good as the Jet is - there are times when you will wish it had a larger capacity when roughing out blanks. For now - enjoy the Jet and get back into enjoying turning!

Looking forward to seeing some turnings real soon!

Gary Kvasnicka
04-22-2009, 10:45 PM
You have got a real bad case of the disease. I see that you are getting the right medicine.:D When I first turned on my DVR I could not believe the difference from the mini. I know that grin... it won't fit behind the face shield.

Richard Madison
04-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Joshua,

This is excellent. After some electrical work, you can become an authority on 1.5hp 110V vs 2hp 220V motors on fairly similar machines. The "1.5 vs 2 Guru".

Can relate to your new enjoyment, as I "improved" from an old, single tube Craftsman to the 1642-EVS2 a while back. Turning became a lot more fun. EVS provided opportunity to improve turning skills, rather than concentrating on just trying to make something with getting injured.

Happy other new lathe.

Don Carter
04-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Joshua:
Hang on to your wife, my friend, she is a good one!;) If I had brought the second new lathe in the house, me thinks my wife would have had more to say than yours did...

Phillip Bogle
04-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Some times you feel like a nut some times you don't ...

You have two lathes because you have two hands??

How about one lathe is for the right brain and the other is for the left brain, and the 220v is for the dominate side, and the 110 is for the subordinate side, or those days you are running half fast. I am sure if you put some effort out you can come up with some sort of logical hocus pocus. If that doesn't work just listen to congress a few minutes they will think of some sort of hokey explanation.

You might even think of getting the mustard set up and running a tutoring or basics mentor thing. There are lots of ways to get this vortex to run in reverse.

I just went from a table top to an older Delta but it is a step up, and I really didn't NEED it. My friend needed the cash to cover his new Oneway so I helped him out. Aren't I a swell buddy? I can appreciate the joy.

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Congrats on the lathe Joshua. You have two fine lathes.

Jim Kountz
04-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Nuts for buying more tools?? NEVER!! I have that Jet lathe and I concur its awesome. Although.......................I would still keep the Mustard if I had it simply because of capacity. Thats it though.

Jeff Nicol
04-23-2009, 8:00 AM
Joshua, If I had room for more I would have more!! The shop is full and the LOML would cut something off if I did buy more! No "John Wayne Bobbitt" for me!! Have fun and enjoy your jet, but get the mustard up and running you will have the Junior and Senior of great lathes then! Maybe you can run into a deal on a Oneway next, but that is certainly never going to happen!

Have fun,

Jeff

Joshua Dinerstein
04-23-2009, 10:52 AM
This is excellent. After some electrical work, you can become an authority on 1.5hp 110V vs 2hp 220V motors on fairly similar machines. The "1.5 vs 2 Guru".
An interesting thought. I had planned a number of side by side comparisons once we get into the new house, May 11th is what it looks like now. I will have to post my findings and my comparisons. They may prove useful to some. Right now what I can say with absolute conviction is that the HF lathe is going to make a good bench/shelf in the garage. I can't imagine going back to it. ;)

Thanks!
Joshua

Joshua Dinerstein
04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Joshua:
Hang on to your wife, my friend, she is a good one!;) If I had brought the second new lathe in the house, me thinks my wife would have had more to say than yours did...

Hehehe. She did ask about that. Buying a second one. Even a used one. But we talked it over and she was fine with it. She really is 1 in a billion.:D

Joshua

George Guadiane
04-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I would highly suggest you wait on determining what to do with the Mustard. As good as the Jet is - there are times when you will wish it had a larger capacity when roughing out blanks. For now - enjoy the Jet and get back into enjoying turning!

Looking forward to seeing some turnings real soon!
AFTER you get the Mustard assembled and powered up, take your time, evaluate for, oh, I don't know...

a few YEARS before you decide what to do. You may find that they each have advantages, and/or that more than one lathe means more than one project, or...
(Just a thought)
Yeah, keep that wife, good ones are hard to come by!

Joshua Dinerstein
04-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Joshua, If I had room for more I would have more!! ... Maybe you can run into a deal on a Oneway next, but that is certainly never going to happen!

That is true. There is always a Oneway and a Stubby and a Robust lathe. Looks like I am going to need a bigger house! Actually the next purchase is a better Band saw. I need one with a larger cutting capacity for these new large bowl blanks I can now turn. :)

Joshua

Gary Herrmann
04-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Not that crazy. I've got two. I kept the Fisch mini after I bought mustard. Still use it occasionally for pens etc.

Tim Cleveland
04-23-2009, 4:08 PM
Right now what I can say with absolute conviction is that the HF lathe is going to make a good bench/shelf in the garage. I can't imagine going back to it. ;)

Thanks!
Joshua
You might consider turning it into a buffing station. Congrats on the new lathe.

Tim

Ryan Baker
04-23-2009, 8:33 PM
You might consider turning it into a buffing station.

Yup. That's what I am doing with mine.

Joshua Dinerstein
04-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Took me a bit longer than planned. Lots going on here. But here the promised pics. The old green beast now sitting in the corner and the new white wonder in the primo place. I spent much of today turning on it and made 2 really quite nice bowls.

So the 2 lathes, and of course some shavings underneath the new Jet!

Joshua

john taliaferro
04-27-2009, 9:33 AM
your still up on top of it . steve is the one that worries me he :confused:. he got accepted big time show. he way worse than us . show us your bowls .