PDA

View Full Version : Best router

Jon Dieterlen
04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
I am in the need of a new router. I have a PC 690 (piece of junk), and a Bosch 1617, also a piece of junk. I have had several Bosch over the years, and they keep getting worse. The old style with the ramp stlye depth adjustment were the best, but as with most things, someone had a better idea that doesn't work as well.

My Bosch has worn the upper plastic housing such that there is end play in the armature. I have replaced the bearings once a few years back. I don't think it is worth the time or money to repair as I never really liked this tool to start with.

I am looking at the Milwaukee 1 3/4 HP (11 amp) or the 2 1/4 HP (13 amp) fixed base routers. Also the Dewalt 618 (12 amp).

This router will never be mounted in a table. Cost is not a factor.

Does anyone have any opinions on these or other routers.

I am looking for ease of depth adjustment, smooth vibration free operation for chatter-free cuts, and durability.

I believe Milwaukee has a 5 year warrantee.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Jon

Jim Riseborough
04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
What didnt you like about the PC690? I have two, and they are flawless so far. I dont know how much you use them.

Jim Kountz
04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Ive been looking at alot of routers lately and I kept going back to look again at the Triton routers. I ended up scoring a great deal on a M12V Hitachi but if I hadnt I would have gone Triton more than likely. However I was mainly looking for table use whereas you stated you were not looking for that. Still Triton has a smaller one too.

Jon Dieterlen
04-22-2009, 10:29 PM
The PC 690 has a run out problem. Also a large router bit with a long shank will bottom out in the collet. I use a 1/2" dia. flush trim bit to flush up face frames. This bit bottoms out in the collet, and the router vibrates so badly you can't hardly hold on to it.

Jon

Todd Burch
04-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I like all 3 of my PC690's, and both of my Hitachi M12V's. :D :D

I prefer the heavier Hitachi's.

Bruce Wrenn
04-22-2009, 10:44 PM
The PC 690 has a run out problem. Also a large router bit with a long shank will bottom out in the collet. I use a 1/2" dia. flush trim bit to flush up face frames. This bit bottoms out in the collet, and the router vibrates so badly you can't hardly hold on to it.

JonCollet assembly is a "service" item, meaning that they some times have to be replaced. Take an impact gun and remove the old collet, and install a new one, both nut and collet. You only need to hand tight ,as the cutting forces will do the rest. The 690 is the 'gold standard " against which all other fixed base routers are judged. Didn't get that label being a piece of junk. From PC, I have a couple of the 100's, three of the 630's, and several of the 690's. I only have 27 routers in my shop, including laminate trimmers. More PC's than any other brand, with DeWalt being second, followed by Bosch.

Jon Dieterlen
04-22-2009, 11:04 PM
The problem with the PC 690 stems from either low quality bearings or inaccuratly machined arbor. The collet is kept clean and is not the problem. As most tools these days, this router comes from China. What the tool companies need to understand, is some people want quality at a higher price.

Has anyone else noticed that the collet is shallow?

Jon

Travis Byler
04-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Porter Cabler 890 is my favorite, I have 2 of them now. The soft start makes it very comfortable to use on projects when you turn the router on and off a lot (pile of dovetails...), and the router has enough power to make a raised panel or 2 if I don't want to get out my shaper.

Charles Krieger
04-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Since price is no object have you considered the Festool routers? You might find happiness there! I don't own a Festool because for me price is one of the considerations. I have a PC 690 with soft start and variable speed which I like. I also have a Freud 2000 which has served me well even though it is not a great design. The newer Freud routers are better designs but probably not what you are looking for.

Brian Smith3
04-22-2009, 11:24 PM
If the 690 and the 1617's aren't working for you then you need to step it up a notch, because both those routers are best in their class, so if you break them to the point you call them junk then you are way above their pay grade.
It sounds like you need a more industrial router. I would say the Porter Cable 7539 plunge router is the one you want. I've got a couple of these and yeah they are monsters, but they are also tough as nails. Guys that route granite countertops use these all day long, and if you break one of these then you're going to have to figure out how to do what you want to do on a shaper.

Mark Godlesky
04-22-2009, 11:45 PM
I like the Milwaukee. I have two of the 2 1/4 HP version. I especially like the body grip feature.

Ron Bontz
04-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I would have to agree with stepping up a notch to perhaps a PC7518. Or comparable 3HP IMHO. I still have my Bosch 1611 plunge. If you don't need the portability then I would think shaper. I have a 690, 892, 7518evs, Bosch 1617, and 1611. I destroyed two 690's running large bits in them in a router table some years back. I had to learn not to apply excessive pressure horizontally on the cutter. Smaller bites. Seems to have worked for me. Good luck.:)

Cary Falk
04-22-2009, 11:55 PM
I have the Dewalt 618 3 base kit and love it.

Paul Greathouse
04-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Jon,

I own a whole herd of routers, 3 of them being PC 690"s. I like the 690's for what they are, a good old solid design. Sorry to hear that your having problems with yours, luckly, I've never had the vibration problems you mentioned.

I did recently get a Milwaukee 11amp fixed base. It is very smooth and appears to be well built. The depth adjustment is top of the line IMHO. I don't think you would go wrong with either the 11 or 13 amp Milwaukee, as long as its up to the task that you are trying to perform.

I have a PC7518 in my router table and it performs well. I have been looking at the 3 1/2 hp Milwaukee fixed base lately. Looks like it would make a great table router but it may serve your needs as a freehand router, if what you really need is a more beefy router. It also has the same depth adjustment as the smaller Milwaukee's, which I think is a definate improvement over the Porter Cable fixed base.

I think the Milwaukee 3 1/2hp also carries a lower price tag than the PC7518. The smaller Milwaukee's are little closer in line "price wise" with their competitors.

I've never owned a Bosch router, but I do have a couple Freud 13amp fixed base routers and two Dewalt Plunge routers 621 & 624, they are top quality plunge routers and I would recommend them to anyone wanting a good dedicated plunge router.

Jeff Rowley
04-23-2009, 2:03 AM
I have the 3hp Porter Cable mounted in the router table and the 3 hp Milwaukee mounted in my Shopbot. I have the 2hp Milwaukee for handheld use.

I prefer the Milwaukee's, especially the depth adjustments. I'd keep the big Milwaukee in the router table for the better depth adjustment, but it's also considerably quieter than the PC, so I like it in the Shopbot which can sometimes run for hours.

glenn bradley
04-23-2009, 2:08 AM
I will not cast disparaging remarks at any other routers; there are lots of favorites and they should be. Set a Milwaukee next to any other, compare the ease of height adjustment, look closely at the collets and the bit throats, check the small things and fire them up if possible.

I have several brands of routers. I have three Milwaukees. My other routers have a pretty easy life if you get my meaning. I have the 5616-24 but put the 5615 in the plunge body for lighter weight on the Mortise Pal . . . oh yeah, the bodies are interchangeable on the 5615 and the 5616; plunge, fixed, D-handle, etc. I should have mentioned that. 5625 in the table; what a locomotive, definitly NOT interchangeable.

These are mostly production style bodies so dust control is not their strong suit. The vac attachment does a good job but is pretty much defeated when you run template collars which I do a lot. I wish they made a palm router ;-)

Simon Dupay
04-23-2009, 2:47 AM
Try finding an old PC 537, best router ever made IMHO.

John Thompson
04-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I have a Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP under a talbe and the Milwaukee 2 1/4 HP Combo which is the fixed base and plunge for hand held. I sold a Bosch 1617 and a DW 621 to get the Milwaukee Combo and it proved to be one of the wisest moves I have made WW'ing in 38 years.

The Milwaukee's as stated by Glenn are like Clydesdales.. WORK-HOSS's. Probably the only brand I will ever own again in routers and I have had 6 different brands over the years.

Sarge..

Erik Frederiksen
04-23-2009, 1:43 PM
Another vote for Festool. Very well made and good dust collection.

Jonathan Spool
04-23-2009, 5:27 PM
Milwaukee 3.5hp 5625-20 under the table. Festool routers of all sizes for everything above the table are the best I've experienced. A pleasure to use. Precision and consistancy. Only issue with them is the price, but you do get what you pay for.

lowell holmes
04-23-2009, 5:45 PM
DW 621 and 610 for me. I have a PC 690. I don't like it because when you raise and lower the bit, it moves around center. I find the plunge mechanism to be clumsy. I do use it in a table. I also have a Bosch Colt that I like. I have Pat warner bases on all of my routers.

Craig McDaniel
04-23-2009, 5:54 PM
One more vote for the Triton.

The 2 1/2 works great for hand held use (works well in the table as well). It isn't as loud as either the 690 I had or the Hitachi I still have.

It also comes with a variety of accessories (bushings, dust guard, edge guide).

The hole pattern in the base is the same as the PC 7518 for after market bases.

I also like the single wrench bit changes with the collet lock feature.

Jon Dieterlen
04-23-2009, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the opinions everyone! I think I might try a Milwaukee as they got some good comments. I agree that the larger PC is probably a good tool, it's just too heavy for my application. It would be good for straight edging solid surface, or dadoeing.

Thanks again, Jon

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-23-2009, 8:47 PM
Get yersef a Festertool
they got bearings out the wazoo (really they do)
Cool paint job
and suit yer wallet.

Barry Nelson
04-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Triton have gone bankrupt,not a word from them since dec 08:(

Jim Rimmer
04-23-2009, 11:10 PM
I've got a Freud 2000 mounted in my table and a Ryobi 2 HP (stay away from Ryobi; they don't work well with after market stuff) that I keep in the plunge base. I just bought a new PC 690 for my dovetail jig and love it. I also bought a used one on eBay and just got it today. It's been pretty well abused but runs smooth.

John Thompson
04-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Triton have gone bankrupt,not a word from them since dec 08:(

Thanks for that info Barry as I wondered about that. BTW... passed your way once while visiting Sydney. Beautiful place on the coast if I remember correctly as I was under the influence of Austrialian beer and women. I was young once. :)

Regards mate...

Sarge..

Joe Jensen
04-24-2009, 1:08 AM
Try finding an old PC 537, best router ever made IMHO.

Yea, I've used the 536 for 25 years. I just bought a second one used on ebay. I now have two motors and 5 bases. The 536 and 537 were available before the 690. In 1988 the 536 fixed base sold for $330 and the 690 sold for $170. Both made in the USA. The 536 was the industrial duty and PC brought out 690 as a lower cost alternative.

Greg Millen
04-24-2009, 5:30 AM
I am familiar with the Hitachi TR-12, Triton 1400 and 2400w, Bosch 1617 and Makita 3601B and 3612.

I would go for the Triton 1400w every time for hand held use. Simple to use and everything is convenient. Simple guidebush system, great safety features, best bit change available.

I know Triton (sold to Hills then Hills bought by GMC) are up for grabs at the moment but I seriously doubt that the router will go without a buyer for the patent and manufacturing rights.

Charles Robertson
04-24-2009, 6:45 AM
Fein is as Fein as you can get.

Dan Clark
04-24-2009, 10:07 AM
If cost is no object, the best router would be the Festool OF2200. I have an OF1400. It's a good router, but nothing compared to the OF2200.

Festool's router page: http://www.festoolusa.com/products/routers/of-2200-eb-router-574277.html.

Here's a video I created from still photos taken at Festool training: http://vimeo.com/969875. The pics show the router cutting solid surface with a 2"+ bit in a single pass. The last pic shows what it's like WITHOUT the dust collection hose hooked up.

Think of the OF2200 as a hand-held shaper.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. To see the video full screen, mouse over the video and click the four little arrows in the lower right corner. Hit the <Esc> (escape) key to exit full screen mode.

p.p.s. No, I'm not a Festool dealer.

Bob Genovesi
04-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm not a believer in one tool being the best for all applications. I do believe however that one may be better than another for a given application.

My Plunge Router,

Hitachi M12V

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/M12Vjpg_prod_lg.jpg

Non Plunge,

Porter cable 7518

Used on any application that requires allot of power but mostly at home on my router station.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/7518.gif

Bosch 1618EVS

I use this for most routing from edges to grooves and it's really at home when used on my Leigh D4R dovetail machine.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/1618evs.jpg

I hope this helps!

Brent Ring
04-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Hitachi M12V in my Table, and M12VC for all handheld apps.

Sean Camarena
04-26-2009, 6:22 AM
Freud 1702 in table, DW 618 as my plunge, love them both. Whats funny is in the case, the freud sits in the plunge base, but is definatly better in the fixed base on the table, and the DW is just the opposite...