View Full Version : First Air Brushed Vessel. Tell me what ya think

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-22-2009, 8:48 PM
Here's my 1st Air Brushed piece.
It's Hard Maple, 17" tall & 11" dia.
Tell me what ya think.

Kirk Miller
04-22-2009, 9:10 PM
I like it..........What did you use for dye? what kind of airbrush did you use? I have been thinking of trying that myself since Birch is so plentiful up here. Any tips to pass on?

Bill Bolen
04-22-2009, 9:32 PM
That's cool Joe. Make me think of a big-ole bumblebee...Bill...

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-22-2009, 9:37 PM
I like it..........What did you use for dye? what kind of airbrush did you use? I have been thinking of trying that myself since Birch is so plentiful up here. Any tips to pass on?
It's actually acrlic paint, & I just got my 1st air brush. It's a IWATA Air Brush. It came Highly reomemended to me by a friend of mie who is a Proffesional Wood Turning Artist.

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Joe - i really like the form on your vase - especially the small foot! The air brush seems to have worked pretty good. I like being able to see the grain through the color. Was it a big mess to work with? Never tried it - just curious.

Don Carter
04-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Joe:
Now that is pretty cool! How was it to air brush?

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Great looking vase and that some nice air brushing.

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-23-2009, 7:38 AM
Joe - i really like the form on your vase - especially the small foot! The air brush seems to have worked pretty good. I like being able to see the grain through the color. Was it a big mess to work with? Never tried it - just curious.

Thanks Steve.
No, air brushing really isn't messy at all. They spray very fine and with pratice it's easy to control where it goes. No over spray.

Jeff Nicol
04-23-2009, 7:50 AM
Joe, I have 2 air brushes that have never been out of the box! You have given me some more encouragement to try them out! What is the dark color? looks really neat!

Jeff

Mike Minto
04-23-2009, 9:57 AM
I like the colors - good contrast, very bright and goes well with the shape. Regarding the two colors - is the dark/light color the heartwood/sapwood, or simply artistic license? Mike :D

Burt Alcantara
04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Joe,
Did you use a mask for the bottom? I have an Iwata also. What paints do you use? I've found Golden to be best. Had problems with ComArt as they wouldn't give a good surface.

Burt

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Joe,
Did you use a mask for the bottom? I have an Iwata also. What paints do you use? I've found Golden to be best. Had problems with ComArt as they wouldn't give a good surface.

Burt
No mask, just freehanded following the grain patteren. I used Createx paint on this one,however Gloden paint is better.

Tim Cleveland
04-23-2009, 4:01 PM
I really like how you chose a simple, elegant form as a pallete for the air brushing, not overpowering at all. I love the strong contrast of the colors and how they follow the grain

Tim

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-25-2009, 9:15 PM
I really like how you chose a simple, elegant form as a pallete for the air brushing, not overpowering at all. I love the strong contrast of the colors and how they follow the grain

Tim
Thanks Tim
That was what I was hoping for. I was a little worried that the contrast would be a little to BOLD.