PDA

View Full Version : Too much money for a job? (long)

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-02-2004, 7:27 PM
Early this year I took a dining room job...42x102 table, 18x60 'sofa' table, and two large corner china cabinets, all mesquite. Client was remodeling a house and moving from Houston to Kerrville...original move-in projection was early June. I projected completion of the goods for mid-May. I took his deposit money in early March. Move-in was delayed, and I procrastinated accordingly. I delivered the stuff last weekend (10 days ago), as we wanted to get it in the house before they moved in (in the next couple weeks). One of the things I do when I take a deposit is tell the client that if I don't deliver on time, I'll 'match' the initial deposit when it comes time to settle up. For obvious reasons, I don't like to take big deposits. :( In this case, the deposit was $1500...so it hurt me quite a bit to double it.

Anyway, even tho they weren't moved yet, I still felt like I hadn't delivered as agreed, and wrote the ticket with the $1500 additional credit. He was pretty happy with the stuff, and balked at taking the credit. After 'arguing' about it for a short time, he finally accepted something around a $500 discount. So I felt good that I'd made the offer, and also that he didn't take it. :o

As I mentioned in a post last week, the shelves in the cabinets were supposed to be glass in a mesquite frame, with a plate groove. I remember we'd talked about this, but also talked about how the frame around the glass blocked quite a bit of light from getting down to the lower part of the cabinet...so maybe we shouldn't use a frame. So I delivered full size glass shelves...no frame, and no plate grooves. Naturally, I said I'd do whatever it took to make the missus happy...and she wanted plate grooves. Soooo, to make a long story shorter ('cause I do tend to ramble), he wants to give me $350 more for redoing the shelves...even tho I feel like it's probably my mistake to begin with. Especially since he had a copy of the Email with order details that said 'glass in mesquite frame'. :o

I have to go out there anyway in the morning to replace a piece of broken trim and install the knobs on the doors (didn't want to make the mesquite ones if she was gonna want store-bought), so the trip out is not an issue. My inclination is to not take the man's $350. I might entertain the idea of $100 to cover the cost of the new glass, but I feel a bit poorly about that, too. Kinda interested in opinions...

KC

Chris Padilla
08-02-2004, 7:34 PM
Sounds like you should eat the cost of the frame/plate grooves. It also appears you didn't discuss the change and more or less sprung it upon them? Am I reading that right?

I'm doing some shelving units that will have a hockey puck light at the top and we are going with all glass shelves so the light can shine throughout the whole cabinet. It will also have a glass panel door...not sure if it will be psuedo-divided panels or not.

Gary Max
08-02-2004, 7:36 PM
kinda a hard place to be.
last time I done something this big I broke up the payments to match the peices.
Each item had it's own set of prints (roughs on legal pads).
Each print had a price.
And still had some of the trouble you are having.
I really think it's just part of doing Custom work there is always going to be a certian amount of miscommunication involed.
I do have a rule about money.
Ain't turned any down in a long time---hehehe

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-02-2004, 7:38 PM
Kurt, you should be commended for your honesty in dealing with your Clients. I think these clients appreciate the fact that you are a straight up guy, and that is why he feels like doing the right thing. Sounds to me like your male client knows that the straight glass shelves were right on, for the reasons you mentioned, but he also wants momma to be happy. I think I would do the same as you..........politely refuse the $350 for redoing the shelves, but I would not feel guilty about accepting the money to cover the material for the new shelves. When you think about it Kurt, honesty really is the best policy, and treating folks as you do will buy more good advertising than any money ever could. I have seen your work................you are worth every penny..............and I think these folks know that. Good luck on the completion of the transaction Kurt...........things will shake out just fine in the end. ;)

(Any pic's to share............we LIKE pics!) :D

Steve Clardy
08-02-2004, 7:57 PM
I'm with Kevin on this one. Redo the glass shelves and eat the cost of them. Down the road, your referrals from customers like this will more than make up the difference.
Steve. Been there, done that.

Jim Becker
08-02-2004, 8:03 PM
Ditto Kevin's comments. You've proved your integrety and the customer appreciates it. BTW, don't forget to ask for referrals! :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-02-2004, 8:13 PM
Chris...I didn't spring a change on 'em, I just remembered the wrong option. I had the same Email he had, I just didn't look at it. Most of you have reinforced my initial feeling...so I'm not gonna take his money unless he really wants to fight about it.

Thanks for the imput...

Tony Falotico
08-02-2004, 9:33 PM
someone needs to put you in a copy machine and make more honest folks like you.

Terry Quiram
08-03-2004, 7:02 AM
KC

Here is my recomendation. After you two have had your discussion about why you don't want his money and he insists on paying you explain Freedom Pens to him and agree to send the payment as a donation in his name or any other charity you deem appropriate.

Terry

Mark J Bachler
08-03-2004, 8:11 AM
I’ve gone through dilemmas like this in the past. Now I make drawings for everything and when the client signs the contract he also signs off on the drawings. If they want to change something I make a new drawing and a new contract is signed w/ revised delivery date if necessary. It’s easier for the client to understand exactly what they will be getting if they can see it on paper.

Tim Sproul
08-03-2004, 5:30 PM
Most of you have reinforced my initial feeling...so I'm not gonna take his money unless he really wants to fight about it.

If worse comes to worst....take the $350 and make them a $350 project....perhaps a small box to put on the sofa table and deliver as a "gift." ;)

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-03-2004, 5:44 PM
As it turns out, I lost the fight about the extra money...but I tried valiantly. At some point, I guess you just have to back off so as to not insult the man. I do plan on 'surprising' them with an additional housewarming gift.

KC

Chris Padilla
08-03-2004, 5:48 PM
Perfect solution, Kirk! Now, whatcha gonna make them?? :D

Ian Barley
08-03-2004, 6:02 PM
Kirk

You work, as ever, is beautiful. You have to remember that this customer is also happy and may want to make sure that you are around to help him in the future. You have done the right thing by taking the cash and will do an even righter(???) thing by making the gift. You are a craftsman and are worthy of your hire.

(Nice avatar Chris - must update mine sometime!)

Todd Burch
08-03-2004, 6:32 PM
Kirk, I always try to give my best service. But, when the money is rolling in for a lucrative project, service goes into overdrive. I do what it takes to make the client happy.

A couple weeks ago, I installed some cabinets and the client wasn't happy with the color. (I wasn't either, but they had initially said the color really didn't matter). It was a greenish/pickled color on red oak. Yuk. Anyway, the day after I installed them, she called and said she wasn't sure about the color. I went the next day, pulled them out, took them to the furniture stripper place, paid $200 to get them stripped, bought more lacquer and recolored them. She was happy with them then. For me - it meant another week before I got paid, plus out some $$, but when your getting paid $600/linear foot for base cabinetry (not including countertops) - you do what it takes to satisfy the client.

When I'm working with clients that aren't sure what they want, I usually end up telling them what they want. If I make changes along the way, because I think of an even better way, I will make them and tell the client. I haven't had a client balk yet. They tell me (compared to them, at least) that I'm the expert and to do whatever I feel best. I try to work with parameters of function, that way I have the freedom to build as I see fit. So far, it's worked OK.

Paul B. Cresti
08-03-2004, 6:46 PM
KC,
I have not been at this professionally very long but I am really seing Todd's point. The clients I have delt with so far are always looking at me for the solution as "Your the Professional do whatever you think is best". Lets face it there a lot of people out there and on this site that can make beautiful furniture, cabinetry, etc... what sets you apart from others is the service you provide. Your extreme honesty and generosity will be remembered. I think you did the right thing.

Greg Mann
08-03-2004, 7:18 PM
KC,

It appears you have a customer with ethics to match your own, the best of all possible circumstances. I know that in my dealings with folks, I like to feel I have done my part to make the transactions fair. After seeing your work in the other thread, I suspect your customers are so delighted with the outcome, they want to show their gratitude. Let's face it, many times people put down serious money for various projects and come away very disappointed with the results. I have a colleague at work who could only wish that you had been the contractor installing his swimming pool. We all know the horror stories with botched jobs. In your case, they probably feel they have won the lottery. A surprise gift will only increase their conviction that they chose wisely and will probably guarantee great referrals for years to come.

Greg