PDA

View Full Version : wood plaque finish

Cindy Rhoades
04-22-2009, 6:08 PM
I need some suggestions for a nice clear finish for wood plaques. I just got an order that I don't have a lot of time to finish. I usually use a rub on poly and put on several coats to make it look very nice but that takes a lot of time, if I can find a different method that would give nice results that would make my day. I don't have to worry about "seams" in the wood because I make my own plaques out of a single piece of wood no glued pieces.

Dee Gallo
04-22-2009, 6:22 PM
Cindy,

My preferred finish is carnuba wax, buffed to a high sheen with a cotton wheel. Added on top of linseed oil, it's gorgeous with most types of wood. No drying time needed.

But I've read here that folks use floor polish and auto polish with good results too.

cheers, dee

Cindy Rhoades
04-22-2009, 7:11 PM
Thanks Dee I will see if I can find some carnuba wax. Do you just wipe on the lindseed oil and then wipe off any excess?

George Brown
04-22-2009, 7:29 PM
Thanks Dee I will see if I can find some carnuba wax. Do you just wipe on the lindseed oil and then wipe off any excess?

Take a look at the beall buffing system from most woodworking suppliers, or directly from beall (beall.com)

Dee Gallo
04-22-2009, 7:57 PM
George is right. Beall is THE BEST system. But it's not something you can pick up today, unless you already have some other equipment. Might be something to look into for the future, I was just suggesting something you can do today (sounded like you were in a hurry).

Linseed oil, I just rub on and off to bring out the wood's natural beauty. Carnuba should be easy to find anywhere you can buy waxes (furniture, auto, floor). It's pretty standard and goes a long way.

Bill Cunningham
04-23-2009, 9:38 PM
Most good quality 'drys clear' floor paste waxes (the kind your grandmother used to use to polish the hardwood floors) contains carnauba wax. And as Dee says, it does go along way.. I have a can that I got almost 40 years ago, kept it closed tight, and have used it on and off for the last 20 years. It might be expensive to buy, but it will end up being the cheapest wax you'll ever use..for years... I keep a rag in the can that is pretty well saturated with wax now, and thats what I use to apply it..