PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bar Clamps?

Paul Fitzgerald
04-22-2009, 5:12 PM
I'm partial to the Besseys, though I do have some Jorgies.

I need some more, but the options seem endless. Bessey has the TG, the TC, the LM, and the Clutch Style bar clamps. Jorgensen also has several series -- 3700-LD, 3700, 3700-HD, 3900. And there seem to be countless manufacturers and many stores seem to rebrand.

Out of all of them, I think I prefer the Bessey TC series for best cost/performance ratio. The TG series is a bit too expensive and the LM series is a bit too "light duty". And I usually shy away from the clutch style as well as the Jorgies since all the Jorgies I have are clutch style.

So which is your favorite and why?

Tom Veatch
04-22-2009, 6:14 PM
Most all my F-style bar clamps are Jorgie 3700/LD/HD styles. Work well for me. No reason to change. Bought some of the Bessy clutch type and wasn't pleased. Several of the pivoting heads seem poorly constructed and wouldn't rotate under pressure so the clamps tend to "walk" while being tightened. Never had that problem with the Jorgies. Haven't tried the non-clutch Bessies so have no basis for comparison. Bottom Line: I'll stick with the Jorgies.

Fred Belknap
04-22-2009, 9:06 PM
I have a couple Jet clamps that I got at auction and they are the best I have seen.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-22-2009, 9:16 PM
I have a couple Jet clamps that I got at auction and they are the best I have seen.

Interesting... I've heard mixed reviews of their bar clamps, and great reviews of their parallel clamps.

In your opinion, what makes them the best you've seen?

Paul

Kevin Groenke
04-22-2009, 9:42 PM
Of the F-style bar clamps I've used extensively:
Jorgenson 3700
Bessey TG (tradesman)
Bessey LM
Rockler
Jet
generic clones
and
wooden cam clamps (Ulmia?)

The Tradesmen win hands down: they're heavier, but the rigidity is well worth it. The deep acme screw makes for easier clamping and greater durability. They could have larger/softer pads. Haven't used Bessey's X2 knob yet.

The Jet's larger "ergonomic" handle is nice but they're shallow v threads seem a week point. They don't seem to slide as nicely as the Jorgies

The bars of the Jorgie's and Jet's flex too much for heavy clamping in longer lengths.

The heads on the Bessey LM are too soft and can deform and fail to lock.

The wooden clamps are pleasant to use but I wouldn't buy any new ones.

For shorter lengths I usually reach for 6" and 12" Mini Quick-Grip clamps rather than F bar clamps.

-kg

Todd Burch
04-22-2009, 10:27 PM
I like my old Bessey K-bodies, although I did have to use a couple 7' Pony bar clamps last night.

I didn't vote, because the Bessey site doesn't show my style of K-bodies any more (I don't have REVOs), and I couldn't find the TG and TC models listed.

I do have several Universal Clamp Company aluminum bar clamps. I like them because the are so light.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-22-2009, 10:30 PM
I like my old Bessey K-bodies, although I did have to use a couple 7' Pony bar clamps last night.

I didn't vote, because the Bessey site doesn't show my style of K-bodies any more (I don't have REVOs), and I couldn't find the TG and TC models listed.

I do have several Universal Clamp Company aluminum bar clamps. I like them because the are so light.

Todd,

I probably should have called this thread "Favorite F-Style Bar Clamps?" :D

The TG and TC series are Bessey Tradesmen.

Paul

Todd Burch
04-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Ahhhhhhh. I hate those kinds of clamps. Matter of fact, I have about 40 Jorgy's that are going into a garage sale in a couple weeks. P-tuey.

Larry Edgerton
04-23-2009, 7:59 AM
I have four Records that came one free with each new vice, and they are my favorites, but I never see them for sale anywhere. They are heavy but they work well. I have a couple of Stanleys that I bought at big lots that are a close second, and I just picked up 70 Colombians that are way better than any of the ones listed because the handle is a far better design for old hands.

The round handle that so many clamps use just doesn't cut it as I get older. It makes my hand hurt, so I don't get as tight as I would like some days. I have switched back to Jorganson bar clamps with their crank handles over my K bodys as the K bodys bother my hands.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-23-2009, 9:02 AM
I have four Records that came one free with each new vice, and they are my favorites, but I never see them for sale anywhere. They are heavy but they work well. I have a couple of Stanleys that I bought at big lots that are a close second, and I just picked up 70 Colombians that are way better than any of the ones listed because the handle is a far better design for old hands.

The round handle that so many clamps use just doesn't cut it as I get older. It makes my hand hurt, so I don't get as tight as I would like some days. I have switched back to Jorganson bar clamps with their crank handles over my K bodys as the K bodys bother my hands.

Larry, where did you get the Columbians? I have several of them, and they are great clamps, but I can't seem to find any more for sale.

Fred Belknap
04-23-2009, 9:41 AM
Interesting... I've heard mixed reviews of their bar clamps, and great reviews of their parallel clamps.

In your opinion, what makes them the best you've seen?

Paul
Sorry about that, didn't read good. This is what I was thinking.

Thomas S Stockton
04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Gotta go with Wetzler's best F style clamp hands down heavy duty and old school. I have some of the light duty Jorgenson's and they just hang there and never get used. Bessey tradesman's are okay but tend to move around on anything that has an angle. Have some Gross-stabil parallel clamps there nice but really only work well on things that are square like carcasses, doors and table bases not real good for gluing up things like chairs that have lots of angles.
Bottom line is you really need a combination of different clamps for different jobs. When I have a choice of which clamp to use I usually grab a Wetzler.
Tom

Paul Fitzgerald
04-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Larry, where did you get the Columbians? I have several of them, and they are great clamps, but I can't seem to find any more for sale.

I second that request. :D Does the manufacturer have a web site? If so, I haven't been able to find it.

Bob Genovesi
04-23-2009, 12:08 PM
For the most part I use the Bessy K-Body clamps. Sort of surprised that they weren't included in the poll.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/CuttingBoards001.jpg

I do have a good variety of pipe clamps that subsidize they Bessy's but only on occasion.

Wade Lippman
04-23-2009, 12:21 PM

They are far and away the best. Light and easy to set/tighten.
Okay, they don't have the big square ends like the besseys...

Todd Burch
04-23-2009, 2:37 PM
For the most part I use the Bessy K-Body clamps. Sort of surprised that they weren't included in the poll.

Bob, I see you are making your stiles proud on both ends instead of trying to line everything up perfectly during the glue up. You are a smart man.

Here's a tip. You would be smarter if you only made one end proud for both stiles on the same side, as then you would have a straight edge to run along your tablesaw fence. Of course, to do that, you would have to leave your rails extra wide.

When I remember to do as you did, I like to leave all rails and stiles about 1/4" wide, and then trim to fit on the saw.

Todd

Bob Genovesi
04-23-2009, 2:47 PM
Bob, I see you are making your stiles proud on both ends instead of trying to line everything up perfectly during the glue up. You are a smart man.

Here's a tip. You would be smarter if you only made one end proud for both stiles on the same side, as then you would have a straight edge to run along your tablesaw fence. Of course, to do that, you would have to leave your rails extra wide.

When I remember to do as you did, I like to leave all rails and stiles about 1/4" wide, and then trim to fit on the saw.

Todd

Hey Todd,

It appeared that my well laid plan could have been a little better thought out. I extended them on both sides so I ended up wasting about an extra 2 inches of wood on each board. If I had made on side flush like you suggest it would have made things easier...

Thanks Todd!

Wilbur Pan
04-23-2009, 3:43 PM
Like Tom, I really like Wetzler clamps. Here's a comparison picture to show why.

http://www.woodcentral.com/content/vpix_ht/pic132557.jpg

These are pictures of the Wetzler #4 quick clamp, which are the ones I have, and have a 4" reach, and the Jorgensen Deep Reach Steel Bar clamp, which has a 5" reach, which is the clamp that seems to come closest to the ones I have. Jorgensen has a similar clamp with a 3 1/2" reach as well.

It goes without saying that I can generate a lot of pressure with these clamps, although the same is true for the Jorgensens, I'm sure. But the reasons that I really like Wetzer clamps has more to do with ergonomics and use than clamp pressure.

Note that the Wetzler does not have that multiple disc clutch that the Jorgie has. This makes sliding the jaw much easier. All I have to do is tilt the jaw slightly and it moves, and then it stops where I want. I don't have to deal with pressing on the disc clutch.

Jorgensen has a clamp that does not have this disc clutch, but it only comes in a 7" reach, and that was too big for what I wanted. All the Wetzler quick clamps have the non-disc clutch feature, whether they have a 2" reach or a 12" reach.

Also, I've always had issues with the little serrated teeth on the bar of the Bessey clamps.

Also, notice the little bump at the end of the top edge of the fixed jaw on the Wetzler clamp? That allows you to rest the clamp on its head on a flat surface when you are doing a glue up, and the bump will keep it from falling over. That's a really nice little feature.

Here's an action shot:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_a3R4RhWn1Is/SWtc31bBewI/AAAAAAAAAVE/2bPb5swgTIg/s800/IMG_7645.JPG

Larry Edgerton
04-23-2009, 10:04 PM

Steve, I bought all they had at a Ace Hardware, and they never got any more in. I have seen them in other places, and I will try to remember, but it may take me a few days, early onset and all......

Oh, I paid $5 apiece!

If you have a Big Lots by you they had these Stanley deep F clamps for ten bucks. I had never seen them and I was in Chicago and bored when I ran across them. I bought a pair, but I would buy every one if I see them again. We have no such stores up here in the sticks....

Steve Rozmiarek
04-24-2009, 2:12 AM
Steve, I bought all they had at a Ace Hardware, and they never got any more in. I have seen them in other places, and I will try to remember, but it may take me a few days, early onset and all......

Oh, I paid $5 apiece!

If you have a Big Lots by you they had these Stanley deep F clamps for ten bucks. I had never seen them and I was in Chicago and bored when I ran across them. I bought a pair, but I would buy every one if I see them again. We have no such stores up here in the sticks....

No Big Lots here either. I bought mine off ebay a while back, and I somewhat regularly check there for more. Think I paid the same price as you did. Really like them, and I would gladly make a bit more room on the rack for more.

Don Morris
04-24-2009, 10:00 AM
I still like my pipe bar clamps whenever I can use them.