View Full Version : Wood in Central Arkansas

William Powell
04-22-2009, 4:32 PM
Any Creekers in Ar-Kansas have local sources for hardwood plys and solids outside of those listed in the phone book? I can buy retail or wholesale. Seems a little hard around here to get certain products without ordering a whole unit.
Thanks
Bill

Neal Clayton
04-23-2009, 3:41 AM
sunset hardwoods, downtown little rock, for premium and imported stuff.

kaufman's on asher is the default old school lumber yard kinda, they have common local stuff, kinda limited selection tho. they're kinda like what you'd find at the borg, only with lumber yard quality instead of borg quality.

acadian lumber in NLR is kinda in limbo, i used to buy some cypress there but they've scaled back their out of state operations (they're from louisiana) and i think sold out of their yard here to someone else, sent my helper there last week and he said they didn't have much left, we were looking for siding, they sent him down the street to peeple brothers.

William Powell
04-23-2009, 9:25 AM
Thank for the reply. I haven't been out to Sunset but I've talked to them. Seem like nice folks. Been over to Steen's little place. It's close to the house. Talked with Hogan, I guess they must have high quality stuff as their pricing reflects it. They don't stock much though. Odd you mention Acadian. I tried calling them yesterday. Got the impression there was no yard, maybe a local sales guy.

Guess I'll do what I've been doing. Watching the classifieds and CL. Picked up 200 bd ft of hard maple a couple of weeks ago for .75 a bd ft. 4/4, S2S and what I would call common.

Neal Clayton
04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
the hogan here is just a distributor, primarily. and they're scaling it down too. they'll sell to you if you set up an account with them, but yeah the last time i was there, i noticed the same thing, pretty limited selection.

if you're new to the area, what you'll notice is despite the big lumber operations here, there's limited stuff available to the public. reason being alot of this part of the world's red cedar, red oak, and new pine comes from here. most of the big lumber operations in this state are for export, not for selling locally.