PDA

View Full Version : The biggest award we ever made

Rodne Gold
04-22-2009, 4:13 PM
Replica of the small award you see on its base
http://www.tokerbros.co.za/Images/ppx/misc/jhb_park.jpg

Dave Russell Smith
04-22-2009, 4:23 PM
Wow :eek: thats really nice whats it made from ?? and how long did it take to make

Rodne Gold
04-22-2009, 4:40 PM
Well , I didnt want to make it , so I gave the client a FOAD price and they accepted
The award is double sided BTW
The top is 10mm black perspex with a layer of gold mirror perspex atop it , the leaf is made out of matt silver engraving laminate atop 5mm black acrylic
The gold sub base is a laywer of gold aluminium traffolyte on top of 2 layers of black perspex.
The "wood" base is hollow , there is a top supewood oval and a bottom one with supports between em to make em rigid and a length of "rosewood" type formica is wrapped around em.

Dave Russell Smith
04-22-2009, 4:46 PM
like to see them lift that out to carry away :D

Dee Gallo
04-22-2009, 5:45 PM
Spectacular, Rodney! It's always a nice surprise to come to the Creek and see something that couldn't be done... and done well.

Thanks for sharing, dee

ps- you're a brave guy, too! I would not have the nerve to take on a job like that! I guess that's where your extensive experience comes in.

Cindy Rhoades
04-22-2009, 6:11 PM
Very nice work.

Scott Perry
04-22-2009, 8:01 PM
Nice Job. What type of award is it....what achievement?

Rodne Gold
04-23-2009, 1:34 AM
The giant award was to go on stage when smaller awards were to be handed out , it was for a national "best city park" competition.
We had 3 days to do this award , hence my FOAD price (f,,k off and die...IE a price so high that the customer would go away or if they accpet it , there is so much meat in it that you can afford to drop everything and do it and do it well)
Dee ... my brief to my staff is that we are a can do company , we never say No , we always try come up with a solution , even if it isnt 100% what the customer originally wants..

Andrea Weissenseel
04-23-2009, 7:13 AM
This looks terrific ! Thank you for sharing how it was made.

Andrea

Dan Hintz
04-23-2009, 8:00 AM
I wouldn't mind if all of my projects were FOAD quotes that ended in a 'yes'... I'd hire someone else to do the actual work and live high on the hog :cool:

Nice work there, Rodney. If you had to make the choice, would you go back to a one-man operation where you have complete control over every project, or do you like the ability to throw work at someone else and simply check their progress from time to time?

James & Zelma Litzmann
04-23-2009, 8:14 AM
Rodney, that is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing, it is great to see what others are doing. Some of us limit ourselves or get in a "rut" and a post like this reminds us once again that we are basely limited by our imagination.

Steven Wallace
04-23-2009, 9:00 AM
On my web page, I state that I am only limited by your imagination and the size of my machine. I have even overcome the size issue a couple of times. Great work and thanks for sharing. I had heard FOAD stated in other ways, I have got to remember that on the next "can you do this" job.

Phyllis Meyer
04-23-2009, 9:53 AM
Rodne,

Thanks for sharing that with us! Awesome job!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Rodne Gold
04-23-2009, 3:49 PM
Dan , I have put 25 yrs of work into this business.
I am now semi retired at 50 , I have bitten the bullet and pay others handsomly to run the business for me ( I employ 30 ppl in total)
Im there from 8.30 am to 12 noon and i'm the only one that can sign cheques or deal with money. I am the "lateral" thinker in the show. I also deal with the bigger clients and orders
Up to about 5 yrs ago , the business WAS ME...it's much better this way
I go to my "overhaulin" type V8 muscle car hop up business for a few hrs after and then go home at about 3.30 and potter around.
Yep , I would like to be one man concern , but diabetes and nerve damage etc make it impossible. I earn a LOT more doing things this way.
Thanks to all for the compliments...being in South Africa , far from mainstream suppliers means you sometimes have to be inventive to do a job.

Bill Cunningham
04-23-2009, 10:16 PM
On my web page, I state that I am only limited by your imagination and the size of my machine.

Hmmm I think that was part of my marriage proposal way back when..:D

Andrea Weissenseel
04-24-2009, 4:08 AM
...being in South Africa , far from mainstream suppliers means you sometimes have to be inventive to do a job.

I'm really bad at geographics, but that sounds like South Africa is right beside Germany

@Bill
*lol* I know why I start my working day at the Creek :D

Dan Hintz
04-24-2009, 6:31 AM
Hmmm I think that was part of my marriage proposal way back when..:D
I told my SO I was like the laser... it's not how much power you have, it's how fast you can move the carriage.

John W. Love
04-25-2009, 8:09 PM
Rodney, another superb job! And this is why you are one of my mentors!

Bill and Dan, get back in your corners! lol that turned my day around!

Paul Perkinson
04-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Rodne - we are all very blessed that you share your huge trophy of knowledge with us (pun partially intended) on a regular basis. It's always down to earth, no BS, and sound. Perhaps it is partly because you are so unselfish with help that you are now able to enjoy some of the fruits of your labor. At any rate I'm glad you are able to spend your time pretty much as you wish now and VERY glad you spend so much of it with us.