PDA

View Full Version : TS Riving knife

Bruce Page
04-22-2009, 2:39 PM
What is the allure of a riving knife to someone that does 95% (or more) of his cutting with the blade straight up, like most of us do?

What does the riving knife do that a splitter doesn’t?

Rod Sheridan
04-22-2009, 2:49 PM
What is the allure of a riving knife to someone that does 95% (or more) of his cutting with the blade straight up, like most of us do?

What does the riving knife do that a splitter doesn’t?

Hi Bruce;

1) it can be used for non through cuts, something a splitter cannot do

2) it often is closer to the rear of the blade, which makes it more effective at preventing kickbacks

Regards, Rod.

Prashun Patel
04-22-2009, 3:20 PM
Rknife lowers with the blade, so it stays close to the blade. Splitter doesn't do that.

Stock splitters usually include guards and pawls, so they can't be used w nonthru cuts. But there exist shopmade and commercial splitters w/o guards or pawls which can be used on nonthru cuts.

You can simulate a riving knife by using multiple blade inserts for each blade height with splitters permanently mounted in the inserts.

scott spencer
04-22-2009, 4:55 PM
IMO, the biggest single advantage of a riving knife is that it's more likely to be in the saw to do it's job. If a splitter is cumbersome, it'll often collect dust under a bench instead of sitting behind the blade.

Bruce Page
04-22-2009, 7:18 PM
Thanks guys. I use a Delta drop-in splitter that takes about 30 seconds to install or remove. I always use it when ripping and I haven't had a kick back yet (knock on wood).

John Thompson
04-22-2009, 8:59 PM
Hi Bruce;

1) it can be used for non through cuts, something a splitter cannot do

Regards, Rod.

Not "all" riving knives can be used on non-through cuts, Rod. Only the short version which sits below top tooth. The tall version that allows a crown guard to be mounted has to be removed. BTW... I have a splitter that can be put on my TS when doing non-through cuts but.. the stock splitter that came with the TS cannot.

Regards...

Sarge..

Rod Sheridan
04-23-2009, 9:59 AM
Not "all" riving knives can be used on non-through cuts, Rod. Only the short version which sits below top tooth. The tall version that allows a crown guard to be mounted has to be removed. BTW... I have a splitter that can be put on my TS when doing non-through cuts but.. the stock splitter that came with the TS cannot.

Regards...

Sarge..

Thanks for the correction John, I forgot to state that in my original post.......Regards, Rod.

Neil Bosdet
04-23-2009, 10:43 AM
IMO, the biggest single advantage of a riving knife is that it's more likely to be in the saw to do it's job. If a splitter is cumbersome, it'll often collect dust under a bench instead of sitting behind the blade.

I agree. For most people this will be true.