PDA

View Full Version : CLTT Questions

James & Zelma Litzmann
04-22-2009, 1:15 PM
Can you use the same supplies for CLTT that you do for sublimation, like cups, shirts, tiles, etc? Or can you use any cups, shirts, tiles, etc.

Mike Null
04-22-2009, 4:59 PM
Zelma

The advantage of CLT is that you can use nearly anything. The disadvantage is that is it not as durable as dye sublimation. While I've found it good for plaques, t-shirts--even plain cheap cotton it's not good for mugs or things that will get a lot of wear. Key rings for example. I'm making a fairly large name tag order right now and I'm using white engraving plastic as the substrate rather than other materials as it has a matte finish and is far more durable.

The other thing I like is that get the colors that are on my screen rather than a wild range of things I used to get with dye sub.

James & Zelma Litzmann
04-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Well, we received our equipment yesterday . . . so hopefully we will get to start trying somethings out tomorrow. We could not find a lot of information on this but we wanted to add some color to some of our items and this seem to be best route to go. We really wanted to try photos on tiles with it but I am guessing that might not be such a great idea if it doesn't last, I guess we won't learn until we try.

Keep us in your prayers cause we don't have a clue of what we're doing(:eek:), thanks Mike.

AL Ursich
04-23-2009, 12:06 AM
I have both CLTT and Sublimation. I got the CLTT planning to add artwork to wood wine racks. I had fair to poor results with the wood. I was using raw pine and the grain made a difference as the image had grain in it.

Then I wanted to see how the CLTT worked on tile and bought some 6 x 6 white from my local tile store. The results was poor, but I could rub the bad image off with alcohol let it dry and do it again.

At the same time I ordered some 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 from Johnson Plastic for Sublimation. WOW... It came out GREAT....

We had a 50th party for a Fire house and a girl made and donated a Quilt to raffle. I took a picture of the Quilt and put it on 6 x 6 tiles and inlay-ed it in a Quilt Rack that I build and donated. I make the same shape in a Wine Rack and that could make a good wedding gift with a wedding picture in Tile. Or Grandma in Tile on a Quilt Rack....

So for me the Sublimation Tile was the best option.

Now for CLTT info.... This website ...... :cool:........(removed by ME as I don't think I can post the link. My contact info is in my profile) is a PAY site and this address gets you into the free area to read the older stuff. I just renewed my subscription as they have a great CLTT Thread along with all kinds of Engraving stuff from Lasers, Rotary, Sublimation, and more. I visit the site a few times a day like I do here.

There are also some CLTT Vendors on that forum. The reason you don't hear too much about CLTT is that only the Paper Manufactures make money off CLTT, there is nothing EXTRA to buy like inks.... And you can use your CLTT Printer for office printing.

I feel if I gave the wood a better surface this project with Wood will go forward with better results. I have not given up on it.

There is even a Post Bake for Tiles in a Oven to harden the CLTT on Tiles but I never got a clean image. It is Time, Temp and Pressure.... I never got it right.... But with Sublimation I got it the first time.

Last picture is my CLTT Wine Rack Project. The Point of Sale display for selling tickets is also Sublimation.

Good Luck,

AL

Mike Null
04-23-2009, 6:52 AM
There are other options using the CLT process. You can talk to these people or just have a look at their site.

themagictouchusa.com

AL Ursich
04-23-2009, 2:48 PM
Mike,

That was a GREAT website too. They have Laser Glow name badges that I have never seen before.... I have samples of the 1/16 and 1/32.... from Rowmark.

Ordered some sheet stock from my supplier Johnson Plastics....

:D

AL

Edit: I placed an order for paper and some tags. Thanks for the new site.