PDA

View Full Version : A thank you

Scott Hackler
04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
To all who offered help and suggestions to myself regarding my bowl turning from the bowl bottom to the rim and using the bowl gouge. WOW. Thanks. It made a 100% difference. What also helped was whoever said to check out the Jet Tools videos. Very informative. I felt frustrated with the 3/4 rough gouge slapping the end grain (twice every rotation) while it wipped past me. Man that beat the heck out of me and was taking forever. Not to meantion the multiple catches.

I turned 3 bowls last night (one with natural rim) in the half the time it was taking me to do one before and it was so much fun and easy. I have been messing arounds with a lot of elm lately and boy does it turn good, sure hope the finished bowls dont crack like crazy.

Anyway, thanks for those who responded. I still have a lot to learn.

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2009, 1:46 PM
Glad to hear you are starting to figure out this bowl turning thing! Can be lots of fun! Look forward to seeing your elm bowls!

Kyle Iwamoto
04-22-2009, 2:42 PM
If you're starting out, I'd like to reccomend Bill Grumbine's video, "Turned bowls made easy". Very good DVD, as well as his second. Gives you insight from log to oil/finishing.
IF I has seen his video earlier, I would have been able to get MUCH nicer blanks, because I rough cut a nice crotch piece totally the wrong way. So now I have 8 or so small blanks instead of a few really nice big bowl blanks.
No, I'm not related in any way, just that he makes a very informative video that covers just about everything. You can get it from your local Woodcraft store.
You tube actually has a lot of nice turning videos, but having a DVD is so much easier.

I'm just leaarning too.

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2009, 2:58 PM
Glad to see the bowl gouge works for ya. It does make a world of difference using the right tool. I agree that Bill Grumbines DVD's are absolutely excellent.

Ryan Baker
04-22-2009, 8:31 PM
Glad your new trick is working out for you. I agree that you can't go wrong with the Grumbine videos. There's a ton of stuff to be learned from those. Highly recommended.