PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2004, 2:24 PM
Well....another weekend has come and gone. It was a good weekend 'cause I wasn't oncall.!!! :D

No shop time this weekend. Just working on dressing up the Master Bath with LOML. I hate it when I take a light fixture down off a wall and find that the IDIOT that hung the light fixture used his "hammer" to cut the holes in the sheetrock until he found the wire.!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Needless to say, I'm spending more of my time fixing sheetrock and trying to make things work out so I can hang new fixtures. :rolleyes:

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all......

Scott Coffelt
08-02-2004, 2:49 PM
Master Bathroom Remodel Beginning: I basically finished up the Venetian Plaster work in the Master Bath stool area. I need to sand it with 600 grit today and the walls will be done in that part. I also started building a medicine cabinet to go above the stool. I have to remove the old tile floor and replace, once that is completed I can get the trim touched up and painted. Only the beginning of this project that I suspect will take me a while to do.

I looked at a potential house for my new employment opportunity, but I am just a tad worried on the amount of work required for my first fixer upper. It's an old style house in a very prominent part of KC. The houses go for $300 - $750k. I would say this one when complete would sell on the lowerend. It needs basically everything redone on the insides as the plumbing, wiring are shot, there was a small fire, but the roof has been replaced. The previous owner had 30 dogs, so the smell is really really bad. Oak floors throughout that may be savalgeable. Kitchen is gutted and has no real floor, windos need major repair along with some doors. Anyways, they want $140k. My realtor thinks it will take $60k to upgrade, but I suspect more like $100k. It's at least 6-9 months work. I was really hoping to start on houses in the sub $100k final selling range to start off with to build cash flow and turn in 90-120 days. Anyways, I'm still working with some partners, so the deal is not dead, just barely breathing.

The rest of the weekend was spent jacking around doing the typical weekend end crud.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2004, 2:50 PM
Finished caulking the exterior of my new shop in preparation for painting the exterior. Washed the east side with TSP and primed areas needing priming. Saturday evening LOML and I attended a 60th birthday dinner for a friend. It's tuff working outside in 101-103 degrees F temps. Saps the strength from my aging body. Low humidy 10-15% but still saps your strength. Later this week hope to get the exterior painted and then on to the electrical!

Jim Becker
08-02-2004, 3:02 PM
1) Put together the Performax 22-44 Plus on Friday night and tested it
2) Five Barns picnic on Satuday "day"
3) Visit with the 'rents at their vacation cabin Saturday night and Sunday...complete with a wonderful night's "sleep" on a twin bed with Dr. SWMBO, and neither of us is a "small" person. (Not recommended for your vacation accomodations...)

Back in the shop next weekend...finally!

Chris Padilla
08-02-2004, 3:39 PM
Still dinking around with the plumbing here and there. I need some good online sources for what might be deemed as custom plumbing parts.

I think I want a stainless steel braided outer jacket flex hose with 1" FIP on either end. I currently have a 12" and and seen them as long as 18" and 24" but I need something shorter...like 4-6" or something. Leads are appreciated.

Steve Clardy
08-02-2004, 4:19 PM
Worked in shop sat. morning trying to finish some upper cabs on a job I have going.
Then tore out the wall between present shop and new addition to spray room. Got the door opening framed up and installed a metal clad 42" door. Got the sheeting and insulation put back where I had to remove it.
Also got some more junk sorted and hauled to the outback dump hole. Seems like this is a never ending job.
Got some more mechanical stuff moved into mech. shop area, tools, parts, junk etc.
Managed to bend the aluminum threshold on the new door going into that room. Tool box in very heavy. Think I will remove that door again and remove the threshold as it doesn't need to be there.
Did some sweating also. Was hot and muggy.
Steve

Ed Hardin
08-02-2004, 4:43 PM
Got the router table finished in about 20 minutes. After that it was squaring the ladies here there and yon all weekend. Never had another look in.

Michael Ballent
08-02-2004, 5:24 PM
Installed one of those new electronic thermostats at a friend's house, and the honey do list grew to replace the outside light fixture and fix the dripping faucet in the tub...

Replacing the thermostat was interesting, the original had a switch that would change the thermostat so that it could run the evap cooler or the A/C. That was a head scratcher for a while as the house kept getting warmer :D Got it installed and did not have a short ;)

Jack Young
08-02-2004, 7:28 PM
My week-end was somewhat different. I have been doing an interim ministry at a church over in Manassas this past year, during which time I came to really like that group of folks. As the interim term ended on the 31st, I spent a goodly bit of time sort of grieving the termination. The protocol for an interim is to fade away and cut, totally, any contact with that congregation for at least a year. That's not fun to do with people you really like.

But the flip side of that is that I'm free to tackle the mess in my downstairs shop, so I pined greatly about priority. Do I make storage places in the garage for the stuff which needs to be disgorged from my workshop (extra tile from the renovation and other miscellany) so I can then tear down the crude 2x workbench across one wall which houses all of it, or build a sharpening center first, so tools work properly, or put my planer on a moveable stand. . . or? The way I'm put together, such decisions can be immobilizing. So, instead of deciding anything, I patched the latchplate section of several upstairs doors so the metal plate sits in its own dedicated mortise instead of an outsized one from the prior hardware. Good marks from LOML, in any event.

Yes, I have one h... of a time balancing my brooding and my doing. Probably none of you have that problem.

Jack