PDA

View Full Version : New Tools and A Possible Gloat

Rob Cunningham
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
I ordered some Crown turning tools from Packard on Friday, they arrived yesterday. I got a 3/4 roughing gouge, a 3/8 spindle gouge, diamond parting tool and an Ellsworth bowl gouge. I didn't get a chance to test them out but they feel so much better than my old Craftsman carbon steel tools.
On to the possible gloat.
Tomorrow I'm going to look at a used Delta/ Rockwell lathe I found on Craigslist. I don't have much info about it as far as size etc. The man said it is a heavy duty lathe that his father bought from the Jr. High woodshop that he taught in. He also said there are many attachments to go with it. I'm kinda excited. Hopefully it's better than what I have now.

Mike Stephens
04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Haveing good high speed steel tools makes a world of difference. Keep them sharp and the will serve you well.

Good luck with the lathe. Keep us posted and maybe post some picks. Everyone loves pics lots and lots of them.

Mike

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2009, 1:44 PM
Congrats on your new tools! Hope to see photos of your new lathe real soon!

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2009, 3:00 PM
Congrats on the new tools and keep us informed on the lathe.

Rob Cunningham
04-24-2009, 8:04 AM
I looked at the lathe yesterday. It was in pretty bad shape. I couldn't find a model # on it but it was pretty old and beat up. I looked similar to a Delta model# 930. The Duro lathe I have now is in better condition. It would be a good rebuild project, but I don't have time for that right now. Oh well, I'll keep looking and saving for a new machine.

Jim Kountz
04-24-2009, 8:06 AM
Too bad about the old lathe Rob, keep looking though they are out there!!

robert hainstock
04-24-2009, 9:03 AM
I don't know your money situation, but consider the jet 1220 vs. Those of us who have one are quite happy with it. If you are also into spindle work, the 19" bed extention is available. :)
Bob

Kyle Iwamoto
04-24-2009, 12:25 PM
What is up with the pricing on the Jet 1220? I checked Amazon and the Jet 1014 is 10 bucks MORE than the 1220. And the 1220 has a light. Does it have less features or something? What is up with that. It would seem to me, that no one would buy a 1014.
Not that I'm sour that I have a 1014. It's a good LITTLE lathe. IF you get the 1220, I'm sure you'll be happy. The 1014 is great.

Rob Cunningham
04-24-2009, 1:09 PM
I don't know your money situation, but consider the jet 1220 vs. Those of us who have one are quite happy with it. If you are also into spindle work, the 19" bed extention is available. :)
Bob

The Jet 1220 is the one I think I'll most likely get. I just thought if I could get a good deal on a good used lathe, why not go for it.