PDA

View Full Version : How to remove kraft paper from Acrylic

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Am I missing something. I have loads of Acrylic but getting the craft paper off is a real pain. I was told you cant cut with the paper on the Acylic but the stuff does not want to come off the whole sheet.

Is there a trick to this?

Mark Winlund
04-22-2009, 11:09 AM
A big subject! First of all, but fresh acrylic.... preferably with plastic sheeting on it. Paper is much harder to remove. The older it is, the worse it is getting it off. If it is really old it is nearly impossible. I have removed paper coverings that were 20 years old by soaking them in a tank of mineral spirits... the solvent soaks through the paper and softens the glue. I have some engraving material from the 80's that was covered with plastic.... not gonna come off, no matter what! Sometimes, a heat gun will work. Easy to melt the underlying acrylic, though.

I have heard rumors of a solvent that is made for this, but I suspect that mineral spirits work just as well.

Mark

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
I have quite a few 12x12 sheets of Acrylic I just purchased from Delvies. Once side comes off in a single piece. The other side is a pain and the paper keeps ripping.

I spend over 30 minutes per sheet. At this point the time is not worth the effort or return.

Mike Null
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Put a call in to Delvies and see what their solution is.

I've used Mark's method with mixed results.

Joe Pelonio
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Time and more so sun cooks it on. In the case where Michael had one side bad it means the full sheet was stores with sun hitting one side. Hitting it with a heat gun does help some, kerosene will soften it better than anything else I have tried. Some manufacturers recommend Methyl Hydrate.

Always store your paper covered stock in a dark place.

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-22-2009, 6:38 PM
I gave up trying to take the paper off. I get a better cut and the paper comes off of the pieces very easy. Since I sell the parts kits I will just have the customer remove the pieces from his kits.

Its a win/win situation. I dont have to spend the labor and I get a better cut. Also the customer gets protected parts.

I can see the added text to the product description.

"Now includes a special covering to protect parts during shipping."

George Brown
04-22-2009, 7:08 PM
I gave up trying to take the paper off. I get a better cut and the paper comes off of the pieces very easy. Since I sell the parts kits I will just have the customer remove the pieces from his kits.

Its a win/win situation. I dont have to spend the labor and I get a better cut. Also the customer gets protected parts.

I can see the added text to the product description.

"Now includes a special covering to protect parts during shipping."

You've got the idea! Just like in software, it is not a bug but a feature.:D

Matt Vipond
04-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Spray a light mist of brake cleaner. works like a charm.
-matt

Dean Flannery
04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Try Simple Green full strength, I use it to remove paper from engraving stock, it's non flammable and washes off easily

Martin Boekers
04-23-2009, 4:52 PM
I peel up a corner and roll it onto a cardboard tube, then roll the tube across the sheet, works for must except the most stubborn.