PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Combo Kit

eric phelps
04-22-2009, 9:48 AM
Good morning, first post here. I found this site by Googling a question, and the best response was from here. I recently bought, just days ago, a Porter Cable FN250C finish air nailer, with a 6 gal., 2.6 SCFM @ 90PSI pancake compressor. Although I'll probably use it for several applications, the main upcoming job I have is nailing 1x4 RS window/door/corner trim onto my frame/exterior panel house. It seems like the combo has enough 'beef' to do the job, using the recommended max fastener; 16ga, with a 2 & 1/2" 'nail'. The question is this; although I always caulk heavily behind trim boards, will this essentially 'headless' 2 & 1/2" 16ga. fastener give me the holding power a standard #8 galvanized nail would give me? At my age, I'm not going to be pounding them all day, which was the reaqson for this purchase. Thanks very much.

Thomas Knapp
04-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Air nails have a coating of adhesive on them. The friction of the nail being driven in melts it . When the nail cools the adhesive helps lock it in place. That is why air nails are so hard to pull out. There are a couple of things air nails don't do as well as hand nails. Usually the heads on air finish nails are smaller and can be pulled through the top piece of stock easier than a larger headed nail. They don't work as well at drawing up gaps as hand nails either. If you have a stubborn gap either use a hand nail there, or place a block of wood over the area of the board over the gap and hit it with a hammer. Air nails are a real time saver and usually function as well or better than hand nails. They should be more than adequate for what you are doing. This is opinion is based on over 30 years working as a carpenter.

eric phelps
04-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks much Thomas, that gives me a lot of confidence. I'm going to fire it up today and practice with some 1x4 butts I've been saving here. Nothing like a good forum; I'm on a motorcycle forum also for advice/sharing on all related moto stuff. There's no answer more valuable than from someone actually 'doing' it! Enjoy the spring.