PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm asking for too much, but...

Dan Hintz
04-22-2009, 8:59 AM
...I need some ideas for high-end (perception-wise) gifts that are relatively simple to construct. Crystal has a high perceived value, so that's a good material (those cubes with internal 3D images were suggested, but I do not have the equipment to handle that). Marble can be nice, but I'm not talking about creating a simple plaque. Any items should be considered more as a gift rather than a recognition award.

I know it's kind of like asking "What kind of car should I buy?", but I'm stumped for some killer ideas...

Mike Null
04-22-2009, 9:19 AM
Dan

I've had a pretty good response to a simple paperweight using marble that costs less than $1, felt pads and either an engraved or sublimated plate appropriate to the occasion.

The picture is of a reject since I forgot to take pics of the good ones. This was given to contributors to a church building fund.

Angus Hines
04-22-2009, 9:24 AM
Faux Scrimsaw items....Black acrylic painted a nice cream the engraved? I have a couple of LED ideas but you have to wait till the 9th to see those because right now Im just starting to create them.

Dan Hintz
04-22-2009, 9:44 AM
Mike, I really like how the 't' has a brushed look to it... is it safe to assume that was done by sublimation and not lasered? The paperweight has potential... maybe if I gussied it up with some custom cut edges, or used crystal with the design engraved beneath, possibly some engraved inset panels (ala LaserMark).

The request was for high-end gifts, but as the request was made through channels rather than directly, I'm unable to verify exactly what "high-end" means. The 3D crystals was an off-the-cuff suggestion by the client, and they did specify the standard plaque type item (no matter how fancy) was not what they were after... these are for visitors from all over the world to the client's location. I do not believe there will be personalization involved (could be wrong, though), but I definitely need to come up with some samples to hand them. I was told they get deluged with vendors wanting their business, but they never provide samples, just marketing speak.

Angus, The faux scrimshaw is a very unique look, something I will have to try once my indoor fume extraction system is complete. Don't be shy on asking for suggestions with LED projects... I have so many of them I started a notebook! I'm already thinking of ways to combine the scrimshaw look with LEDs... imagine a TRON-style of lines :D

Dee Gallo
04-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Dan,

That's a pretty vague description of what you need.... Anyway, thinking in terms of "visitors from all over the world", here are some thoughts:

1. something with a clock or series of clocks (several time zones)
2. a crystal globe with a "we are here" message
3. paperweight engraved with a world map
4. corian lithopane (you get to light it up!)

Just a few thoughts, dee

Dan Hintz
04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Dee, I agree the description is vague, but that's what I'm forced to work with. If I'm able to offer a selection of cool ideas, the potential for repeat work from this group is all but guaranteed. This is one of those things where you know it when you see it. I'd like to offer items that cost me anywhere from $5-$50 in materials, and I can sell to them for $50-$500... material cost is less of an issue with this bunch, as long as the wow factor is there. I can modify existing ideas some to make it unique, but I'm simply not creative enough to come up with wholly original ideas on my own :( I'm an engineer, not an artist...

Mike Null
04-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Dan

You are correct; it was sublimated. I sold those for about $17 to the church with a material cost of under $2.

I've also used black marble. These look quite expensive, especially when put in a velvet bag.

Scott Shepherd
04-22-2009, 12:04 PM
I sold those for about $17 to the church with a material cost of under $2.

Mental note to self....don't stand too close to Mike, lightening could strike at any time :p

Only kidding Mike, I understand there was labor cost involved too. Just thought I could parse it and give you a hard time ;)

Dan Hintz
04-22-2009, 12:08 PM
But Steve, maybe that's the lightning bolt of inspiration... :cool:

Mike Null
04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Believe it or not I contributed to their building fund when I sent the order. They were shocked. (maybe it was lightning)

David Fairfield
04-22-2009, 5:32 PM
Glass, like wine glasses and goblets and vases. Is inexpensive but can look very expensive when its engraved nicely.

You could get some design inspiration from engraved crystal at museums like the Smithsonian and make a fairly credible replica antique.

Make sure whatever you get works well in the rotary tool before buying in bulk (ask me how I know :o)

Dave

Dan Hintz
04-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Weekday bump to see if anyone had any other wild ideas...