PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Pics

Ian Wilson (AUST)
04-22-2009, 8:09 AM
Would any of you be happy to give me some pics so I can get my website up and running.

I'm looking for Engraved Acrylics, Aluma Mark, Frosts etc etc any engraved phones, ipods, laptops. boating signs, mining signs, any corporate stuff, pen boxes, pens & name badges, circuit boards. Or anything you make like to throw in.

As time goes on I should have my own work to display but at this stage I'm in need of some display material. My suppliers have helped with some pics.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Steve Clarkson
04-22-2009, 8:40 AM
Ian,

Feel free to use any photo I have posted on here.....except for my black granite.marble ones.....those are too embarrasing!!!

Angus Hines
04-22-2009, 8:56 AM
Same here Ian if I post it, it's for the community at large to use !

Bill Jermyn
04-22-2009, 9:27 AM
You can also hit on some of the suppliers. JDS offers images from their catalog, they even have an FTP site where you can download them in high or low resolutions.

Anthony Scira
04-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Laserbits has a whole CD of pictures pretty cheap.

http://www.laserbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_276&products_id=783

Dee Gallo
04-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Ian,

I'm sorry, but I'm of the opinion that anything you use as a display on your website should actually be YOUR work. It's dishonest to show someone else's work and allow the customers to assume you have done it or can replicate it, especially since you are new to the business and might not be able to produce the same quality as your website shows. That goes for design work, layout, illustration, photo prep and laser skill with various materials as well.

Unless you are simply showing work for people to see, and make clear that you are not selling anything, I would discourage you from using other people's work, no matter whether they approve or not. As we have all learned here, just because someone can do it well does not mean you will be able to without a lot more practice. (look at Frank Corker's work and then look at the majority of the rest of us!)

I'm not trying to be mean, but this looks like a failure in the making to me, when your customers then expect you to produce what they see and you can't. That's no way to build a business. Make some samples of your own and be proud of them.

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
04-22-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm in agreement with Dee to a certain point. If the idea is to showcase options for clients, such as what awards you can engrave on, the using pictures from the companies directly seems valid. However, if you're trying to showcase edge-lit acrylic displays, photographs on marble, or trying to convince potential clients you can manufacture custom awards, using someone else's work would be considered by many dishonest (and I'm not talking about getting permission from the picture's owner, I'm talking about the client). I've come across some growing LED sign companies that showcase "their" work on their webpage... only to find out after some searching it was actually lifted from another page, or they took a picture of someone else's jobsite.

Tread lightly with this one...

James Aldrich
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree with you Dee.
But I would use suppliers photos (if allowed) for blank displays to show a product that I offer before it is etched (glasses, plaques, clocks, etc.). As for the final engraved product, I would use my own.
Jim

Rodne Gold
04-22-2009, 3:53 PM
On my website , albeit I have a zillion pics of my own work , I did "lift" some pics from my laser suppliers site and of some other suppliers for items or processes I havent made myself but are possible with the machines I have...to show those that visit what is possible. Some of the categories I have done work but have not taken pics of it.
I don't feel its dishonest ..I did ask permission

www.tokerbros.co.za (http://www.tokerbros.co.za) .......Im listing the site so you can see ...Im way too far away from anyone else here for it to be construed as advertising on sawmill.

Mike Null
04-22-2009, 5:07 PM
I tend to agree with Dee although I link to a suppliers catalog for awards all other things on my site are mine.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
04-22-2009, 6:16 PM
Dear Creekers,

Thanks for your reply, suggestions and offerings.

Point taken Re Other peoples pics....just trying to Fast track but will stick with suppliers material only and add my works as they are completed.

Regards,

Ian