PDA

View Full Version : Timber Sealers

Ian Wilson (AUST)
04-22-2009, 7:57 AM
Hi Creekers,

Just playing with some American White Oak. 98% Power 20% Speed 600 dpi, looks good although a little burning.....smoke residue.

This is raw, last advice was to seal the timber first. Is there anything I should be careful of? I have a product called Two Pack when wet it is highly inflammable....will this be Ok to engrave once cured?? Or any suggestions.

It dries as hard as a cats head.

Cheers Ian :)

George Brown
04-22-2009, 3:11 PM
Definitely seal it first, then you can just wipe the residue off. Should be ok to engrave after it is cured.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
04-22-2009, 6:28 PM
Thanks George..........I'll give it a go.

Michael Hunter
04-23-2009, 5:18 PM
Don't know if it is available in Ozland, but Ronseal "Diamond Hard" quick dry varnish really does do what it says on the tin.
You can touch it safely after about 15 minutes and laser it after an hour.

It's water based, so it does raise the grain a little. It is so quick drying that a quick rub over with fine sandpaper and a second coat is not really any problem.

Bill Cunningham
04-23-2009, 10:21 PM
If it's like most other oak, it will require more than a 'seal' if you are going to colour fill it (usually black), to increase the contrast of the engraving.. My rule of thumb with oak, is if you can feel the grain with your finger nail, it's not sealed well enough to colour fill. The fill will settle in the grain, and getting it out is almost impossible.. Several coats of lacquer with a light sanding between them will seal up that grain..