PDA

View Full Version : Plastic problems (no-not credit card)

Bob Rufener
04-22-2009, 7:50 AM
I am getting my motorcycle ready for the season and to change spark plugs I had to remove several plastic panels. I have several places where the plastic has cracked around the hold down areas and it needs gluing. I have no clue as to what kind of plastic or if the same kind of plastic is used on most motorcycles. I am wondering if anyone has had experiences with this or has some recommendations as to the type of glue to use on this plastic. Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott Shepherd
04-22-2009, 8:32 AM
I am getting my motorcycle ready for the season and to change spark plugs I had to remove several plastic panels. I have several places where the plastic has cracked around the hold down areas and it needs gluing. I have no clue as to what kind of plastic or if the same kind of plastic is used on most motorcycles. I am wondering if anyone has had experiences with this or has some recommendations as to the type of glue to use on this plastic. Thanks in advance for any help.

A tip I learned many years ago that's worked well is a 2 part mixture. Baking soda and super glue. You put the baking soda on the crack. Pile it up a little bit, then drip superglue on it. If it breaks again, it won't be at that location. It's amazingly strong.

Not sure what plastic you have, but it's worked well for me over the years. If you have a place you can try it, give it a try. Pile the baking soda a little (not much, but enough to cover the crack, and then drip the super glue on it.

Bob Rufener
04-22-2009, 9:46 AM
I'm off to the store. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Bob,

I have a friend who owns a music store and he repairs guitars using the baking soda and super glue method. It works!