PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Dayton 8" Jointer

russ dennis
04-22-2009, 7:27 AM
I am just starting out with some woodworking projects and recently set up a shop in my basement. I have been looking on CL for a jointer for some time.

I can across this 8 inch jointer without a base or motor.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/tls/1113299911.html

I have concerned the Rigid 6" jointer but I know bigger is better. How hard would it be to find the base, a suitable 2hp motor to get this jointer up and running? I couldn't find any parts for a Dayton jointer on line.

Seems like a good deal but without parts, it would just be a large boat anchor :)

Bob Aquino
04-22-2009, 7:39 AM
If you are handy, you wont have too many problems. You could find a steel base for it or make one out of plywood. All you would then need is a motor, 1 or 1.5 hp is fine and a belt. My guess is thats a Chiwanese jointer so you would want to compare a final price to something you could get from Griz or the like. If you go looking for a new motor, you might find them around 200 bucks and then throw in another 50-100 for a switch, wiring, plywood, etc. By then you may be up to 500 bucks which is what you could get a used 8 inch griz for, then its not such a good deal. But if you already have a motor for it, then why not?

David Christopher
04-22-2009, 9:20 AM
I am just starting out with some woodworking projects and recently set up a shop in my basement. I have been looking on CL for a jointer for some time.

I can across this 8 inch jointer without a base or motor.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/tls/1113299911.html

I have concerned the Rigid 6" jointer but I know bigger is better. How hard would it be to find the base, a suitable 2hp motor to get this jointer up and running? I couldn't find any parts for a Dayton jointer on line.

Seems like a good deal but without parts, it would just be a large boat anchor :)
Russ, I have the 6" version of this jointer and it has been working great for three years.....these machines are sold by Grainger...you might check with them and see if you can buy the base

David Christopher
04-22-2009, 9:24 AM
Russ, I just checked on the Grainger site and the is a 1300 dollar jointer.. I would grab that one before it gets away

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5Z043

Bruce Page
04-22-2009, 2:43 PM
Jump on it!

CPeter James
04-22-2009, 5:05 PM
Grainger might charge $1300 for that jointer, but no one in their right mind would pay it. Only some business that has a Grainger account and wants one in a rush would get one at that price. Check out the Grizzly G0490 or others from them. You can get a new machine, complete with warranty. I like a bargain better than most, but if you have to put up more money to get this going, consider that you will only have a machine with low resale value whose parentage is questionable. If you do get it, parts can probably be had from any of the importers as the machines are all clones of older American machines.

Cary Falk
04-22-2009, 6:06 PM
I like a bargain better than most, but if you have to put up more money to get this going, consider that you will only have a machine with low resale value whose parentage is questionable.

I was thinking along the same lines.