PDA

View Full Version : Deer Antler

mike wagoner
04-22-2009, 12:02 AM
With all the expert advice I have seen on this forum, something that has bothered me for awhile is how to get square cuts from a antler? any help out there.
Mike

jim carter
04-22-2009, 1:01 AM
if you are turning it, cant you chop it as close to 90 degrees as possible and then chuck it

Bob Hallowell
04-22-2009, 6:28 AM
With all the expert advice I have seen on this forum, something that has bothered me for awhile is how to get square cuts from a antler? any help out there.
Mike

Mike I have never been able to get antler to cut anything now matter how hard I press on the wood;). But if you are talking about making a pen and squaring up the ends after you glue in the brass a pen mill works good for that but if you use a bigger kit and a fatter tube then make sure you turn a bushing for your pen mill.

Bob

mike wagoner
04-22-2009, 10:04 AM
sorry about the misleading question. I was trying to get a cut square on a curved deer antler before I glued in the tube.
Mike

Don Carter
04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Mike:
It is difficult to cut the antler square. When you drill it for the tube (which can be difficult as well) the pen mill will square the blank to the tube. Hope this helps.

Gary Simmons
04-22-2009, 1:07 PM
Mike
My little experience in turning antler, I now cut the antler considerably longer than the brass tube, vs. a small amount if turning a regular pen blank. Because the curve of the antler often leaves one side shorter than the other, the extra length allows me to really get in and square it with the pen mill.
That square with the pen mill is really what counts and it has made a difference for me... my two cents worth.... Gary

mike wagoner
04-22-2009, 4:36 PM
Thanks, Guys, I guess I will resort to cutting them a little longer like I was doing.
Mike

Billy Tallant
04-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Mike,

My method is not the best but it will work for me. I try to cut them a little longer than needed. After cutting them on the band saw, I take them to the sander. I sand the end & then stand them up on the sanded end. At this point I'm just trying to eyeball my blank to get it as vertical as possible. I do both ends like this & then drill my blank for my pen tube. After tube is glued in, then I will use my pen mill for squaring the ends.