PDA

View Full Version : Mini-spinny gloat and first project

Aaron Hamilton
04-21-2009, 11:51 PM
I got my pen starter kit and new lathe from Penn State tonight and couldn't wait to start my first project. I got the turncraft Pro lathe and it came with 50 slimline kits and some paduak and rosewood blanks.

I glued up 6 blanks with tubes and got to turning. Lemme tell ya, I am HOOKED! I quickly cranked out 2 pens, the second way better than the first (actually it was a pen and pencil set). Now on to some different pens, and then on to some small bowls. Can't wait to share more work, but here's my first 2 pens.

Props to Penn State Ind. for offering a very complete set.

Rob Young
04-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Congratulations! Good work and more to come I'm sure!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Congrats Aaron! Nice pens! And...that is what a lot of folks like about turning.......closest form of woodworking to instant gratification!

Dewey Torres
04-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Holy cow...your first???:eek: Way to go!

Don Carter
04-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Congratulations Aaron! Those look great! The water gets deeper and deeper.;)

Aaron Hamilton
04-22-2009, 8:24 AM
Thanks guys...
I just ordered a few peppermill, wine stopper & nicer pen kits. I got mothers day and fathers day presents for sure!

The creek community is by far the best I've found on the web. I enjoy admiring all of your work and learning new things every day. Thanks for makin' it feel like home.

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2009, 8:52 AM
Great looking set Aaron! Pretty wood, nice form and finish! Really like the detail lines on the pencil! Looking forward to seeing your next turning!

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2009, 9:01 AM
Congrats and great looking pens. You have just got started. I will tell you the ride is just beginning.

Aaron Hamilton
04-22-2009, 9:17 AM
I love how you all know my mind already with these "You just got started" comments.

I'm already drooling over a big mustard.

Jarrod McGehee
04-23-2009, 1:19 AM
Hey nice job. and those pens are nice. welcome to the vortex.