PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up sawdust from floor?

Kev Godwin
04-21-2009, 11:31 PM
I could use some suggestions on some method of cleaning sawdust from the floor to keep from getting tracked into the rest of the house. I most recently tried a sponge mop and rinsed it out in my shop sink. That worked very good. However, I don't like to introduce that kind of moisture in the shop.

Maybe there is some type of compound I can sprinkle on the floor before sweeping that would help. Maybe like what is used to clean basketball floors?

I already have good dust collection and filtration but the process of sanding and routing is my downfall.

To please the LOML I have also been changing my shoes at the shop door and that works good too. Thx.
Kev

Craig Nickles
04-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Shop Vac. Only way I have found to keep the carpet clean inside.

Lee Mitchell
04-22-2009, 5:58 AM
Put one of those fibre mats that go outside the front door, either just inside or outside your shop door (or both!). Take it out to the yard and shake it out once in a while.

Another tip is to keep a whisk broom on a nail beside the door. Take a sec and "sweep" the sawdust off the bottom of your shoes when you leave.

I also keep a stick broom in my shop to sweep the scattered sawdust around a machine into a pile that's out of the way. Only take a few seconds to do that to help keep from tracking it all over the shop or out the shop door. Then, at the end of the day, finish up with the Shop Vac.

Hope this helps.
Lee in NC

Clay Crocker
04-22-2009, 6:05 AM
Shop Vac. Only way I have found to keep the carpet clean inside.

+1 on the shop vac.

John Keeton
04-22-2009, 6:39 AM
Bathroom, cot and TV in the shop. LOYL will be even happier!

Doug Shepard
04-22-2009, 7:37 AM
You didn't mention what kind of floor, but if this is on concrete, put down epoxy paint over it. I never felt like i was done sweeping bare concrete. I could always go over it again and get more dust. Sweeping an epoxy painted floor is a real joy in comparison.

Todd Burch
04-22-2009, 8:04 AM
Keep a compressed air line by the door and blow yourself off before going into the house.

James Carmichael
04-22-2009, 8:28 AM
I dunno how I ever lived without a wet-dry vac.

Take your shoes before coming in.

We have dark carpet, and two light-colored dogs, so the dust really doesn't matter, we vaccum probably 2x per day, anyway. Fortunately, SWMBO isn't too picky about it.

Don't be tempted to put a floor sweep on your DC, if you have one, they're intended for dust & woodchips, only. Everything goes through the impeller on a DC, so accidentally picking up a screw or nail from the floor could be very bad.

Pete Shermet
04-22-2009, 8:33 AM
My Dad had dust allergies as do I and used floor sweeping compound called dustbane. I remember the smell as a kid and it always reminds me of our time in the shop together. Great memories!!!!!
The air line and blow gun workbut just reintroduce the dust in the shop for the cold air return to pick up and redistribute throughout the rest of the house even with a filter on the return!
Best Regards
Pete

Charlie Jones
04-22-2009, 8:49 AM
I wear Crocs and slip them off before coming in the house.

Todd Burch
04-22-2009, 9:25 AM
The air line and blow gun workbut just reintroduce the dust in the shop for the cold air return to pick up and redistribute throughout the rest of the house even with a filter on the return!
Best Regards
Pete

I promise you that you don't have a cold air return in the garage that supplies your home HVAC system.

James Jaragosky
04-22-2009, 9:38 AM
I promise you that you don't have a cold air return in the garage that supplies your home HVAC system.
If you have a gas furnace. And by the off chance that you do have a cold air return in your garage; remove it immediately. Don’t just seal it off; remove it.
A cold air return in your garage is a disaster waiting to happen.
The head line would read; suburban family of 5 dies of carbon monoxide poisoning. Details on page 2.

Mike Wilkins
04-22-2009, 9:50 AM
The latest issue of Finewoodworkings' Tools and Shops had an article on basement shops. One of the tips in this article was to have a pair of shoes or footwear that are used in the shop only. Remove them prior to entering the house and no more tracking problems. I keep a couple of pair that I use in the shop and general outside yard work. Keeps the dirt out of the house and keeps the Mrs. happy at the same time.

Prashun Patel
04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
I have the most dust-conscious spouse of any of you - I guarantee.

Separate shoes and clothes is the only thing I've found that really works.

Eric DeSilva
04-22-2009, 10:31 AM
At the shooting range, where tracking lead is an issue, they have mats on the floor that are like giant two-sided tape. Very effective at cleaning stuff off the bottom of your shoes.

Pete Shermet
04-22-2009, 10:37 AM
OOOPs
missed the part about the garage workshop , Mine is mostly in the basement AND some in the Garage.
Regards
Pete

Gene E Miller
04-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Greetings & Salutations,

With a complete bathroom in my shop building a shower and change of clothes takes care of all the dust and once I am clean I usually get out of any further chores back in the house. :D:D ;)

John Schreiber
04-22-2009, 12:28 PM
We never wear shoes inside the house and I wear an apron in the shop, so I sawdust doesn't come in past the mud room. (Except a lot of times, especially if If I've sat on the floor at some point. Then apology is the best response.)

I also second the smooth floor. My floor sweeps clean, but if it's not smooth, it's a loosing battle.

Rod Sheridan
04-22-2009, 1:38 PM
Don't be tempted to put a floor sweep on your DC, if you have one, they're intended for dust & woodchips, only. Everything goes through the impeller on a DC, so accidentally picking up a screw or nail from the floor could be very bad.

James, that's only true if you have a single stage collector.

I have floor sweeps and a floor sweeper (hooks up to the DC via a hose) for shop cleaning, and wouldn't want to be without them.

As others have posted, change your shoes when going into the house, wear an apron etc.

I find that with excellent dust collection, there's almost no dust on the shop floor or my clothing.

Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
04-22-2009, 2:08 PM
I have a 5 x 10 piece of carpet leading to the door that leads to the house with a fuzzy doormat at the door. I also have a 6' runner just inside the door. Sweeping the big stuff and a vac job now and then along with the "carpet trail" seems to do the trick.

Bob Vavricka
04-22-2009, 6:33 PM
When I taught industrial arts at a high school and we wanted to really clean the floor, we would sweep first with a floor broom then go over it with a dust mop to pick up the fine dust. The floor was concrete with a fairly smooth finish and probably a sealer coat.

Rick Christopherson
04-22-2009, 6:50 PM
You can't sweep sawdust with a broom. The bristles are not fine enough. You won't notice how much is left behind until you have a smooth floor.

If your floor is smooth, then get one of these.

http://www.uline.com/images/product/group/HD_7000_G.JPG

travis howe
04-22-2009, 7:31 PM
http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2475131&cp=2804605&ab=CMS_RobotSuper_DirtDog_031709

this is the real deal!

Bill Houghton
04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
When I worked as a custodian, we did have a compound that went on the floor - I think it works similarly to clumping kitty litter, gathering up the dust into large enough bits to sweep easily.

I imagine you could could find it at janitorial supply houses.

Kev Godwin
04-22-2009, 11:15 PM
I should have been more clear on my original post. My shop floor is troweled (bare) concrete. Thanks for the comments so far. This is a great help!