PDA

View Full Version : Which jaws for vicmarc chuck and turning supplies for newbeee

Jack Gaskins
04-21-2009, 9:56 PM
Hello, hope everyones turnings are going well. I had a few questions. I started turning pens around this time last year and want to go beyond that now. I have decided to get a Vicmarc VM100 chuck. I was wondering if the standard jaws would suffice or is there another type jaw I would need? I plan to use my Jet 1014 for turning just about anything until this summer when I purchase a PM 3520B lathe :D. I dont even have a bowl gouge yet but I will be purchasing a few of the Thompson tools when I get the powermatic lathe.

I dont know really how to ask this but what I also would like to know is; what other tools/itmes should I consider purchasing (beyond the normal gouge, chuck and such) that would allow me to try different types of turnings, say like a set of Beal spindle taps, or cole jaws or jacobs chucks. What about drive centers for spindle work, what are the prefered types/brands to look at purchasing? I recently joined my local turners clud here in Indianapolis and this past weekend meeting was really great. They had so many turning things it was hard to decide what I should start out with. I guess what I am trying to do is do a one time buy on a good mix bag of items I will need to allow me to turn most anything without having to turn around every month and buy another tool. Any suggestions you guys have would be great. I know there are a tone of things out there but there must be like a standard set of things that will allow you to turn just about anything. Thanks,

Jack

Tom Lewis
04-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I own three Vicmarc chucks. I think they are hard to beat. I would recomend starting with the standard jaws then when you see a need for something else you can purchase it.
I understand your reasoning for making one big purchase, but I don't think wood turning works that way. Once you fall into the "Vortex" of wood turning you will probably feel the need to make another purchase every month or so if not sooner.
As you turn more, you will learn more and see the need for more wood turning items.
When a person first starts out with woodturning they probably don't know in which areas their interest will develope. Will it be bowls, large, small, hollow forms, boxes, pens, segmented turnings, etc.

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2009, 9:28 AM
Jack I own a Vicmarc VM100. Also the $99 Grizzly chuck is a clone of the VM100 and all the Vic jaws will fit it. I have 2 Vic's and 3 Griz chucks all with different Vic jaws. Start with the Vic as it is a excellent chuck then buy jaws as you need them. Also you need to be aware that your 1014 has 1 X 8 spindle on the headstock and the PM will have 1 1/4 X 8 so be aware of that before you go out and do a lot of buying. If you use a adaptor to be able to use the chucks after you get the PM you can introduce error.

Mike Peace
04-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I agree with Tom. Wait until you need it. For example, I know some turners that only turn bowls and platters and would never need a six inch tool rest. I turn a variety of stuff and use a 4" and a 6" tool rest a lot. I know two turners with expensive Sorby texturing/spiraling tools that have never used them. There are so many different ways to turn and items to turn so tools are often very much a matter of personal tastes and interests. I know turners with only one chuck and the #2 jaws that came with it. I have a SN2 and a G3 with a total of 5 extra sets of jaws but do most of my work with a #2 set on one and a 35MM set on the other.

I personally find a Beall tap is very handy. You can always make threaded glue blocks to take to your club raffle. I did a recent survey in one club and discovered that on average the turners in our group spent less than 8 hours a month turning. I suspect that there is a huge variation in what tools are used by someone turning a couple of hours a week and someone spending 20 hours turning.

Ok, probably too long a post but hope it is helpful.

Jack Gaskins
04-22-2009, 4:53 PM
Jack I own a Vicmarc VM100. Also the $99 Grizzly chuck is a clone of the VM100 and all the Vic jaws will fit it. I have 2 Vic's and 3 Griz chucks all with different Vic jaws. Start with the Vic as it is a excellent chuck then buy jaws as you need them. Also you need to be aware that your 1014 has 1 X 8 spindle on the headstock and the PM will have 1 1/4 X 8 so be aware of that before you go out and do a lot of buying. If you use a adaptor to be able to use the chucks after you get the PM you can introduce error.

Think I should just get the Grizzly chuck for my mini and when I get the PM get the VM120?

Bill Bolen
04-22-2009, 5:23 PM
Jack Grizzly is out of stock on that chuck at the moment. I have 2 on order that will not ship prior to 5/17 and I read another post showing a new date of 6/17..Bill..

Ryan Baker
04-22-2009, 8:23 PM
Welcome to the vortex. Just call up Craft Supplies and tell them to send the truck over with one of everything in the catalog. There is no end.

But seriously, I agree to keep it simple and add things as you find you need them. By the time you are ready for the accessories, you will know which ones are right for the work YOU are doing.

RL Johnson
04-22-2009, 8:24 PM
I too have the VM100 and a Jet1014, I did not make the jump to the 3520B but bought the Jet 1642 instead. All said and done I purchased a spindle adapter from Penn State and then when and bought the VM120 for the 1642. I have used both from time to time but I sure like my pin jaws for the VM100 they are great for small items and I sure like the dovetail jaws on the Vicmarc chuck for turning dry wood. You may want to get the shark style jaws for green wood. Welcome to the vortex.

Jack Gaskins
04-22-2009, 9:48 PM
Jack Grizzly is out of stock on that chuck at the moment. I have 2 on order that will not ship prior to 5/17 and I read another post showing a new date of 6/17..Bill..

Well that sure SUCKS!:eek: