PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got it!

Robert foster
04-21-2009, 9:28 PM
I received my rebate check today from Jet for the JFM-5 mortiser that I purchased from CPOJET last December. I sent the coupons in right after Jan 1. I knew it would take 8 to 10 weeks but 3 1/2 months is a long wait.
I do like the JFM-5 quite a lot with some reservations. I have made some mods to correct them.
Bob

Jim Rimmer
04-21-2009, 9:40 PM
I just sent in a rebate on a Porter Cable router I bought at Rockler. I guess I'll have a long wait as well.:mad:

C Scott McDonald
04-21-2009, 9:48 PM
Bob.

What didnt you like about the Mortiser? It is on my purchase list

Thanks,
Scott

Paul Ryan
04-21-2009, 9:51 PM
Robert,

I have the motiser too. I am just curious what you didn't like and what you have done to modify it.
The only problems I have had with mine is the in/out table does not lock with that itty bitty screw they have for it. Other than that it is a real nice machine.

I got my rebate a few weeks ago after loosing my patience, and contacting jet.

Larry Rasmussen
04-21-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm kind of looking around wondering if I copied any of the rebate stuff before I mailed it off. Of course I waited til the last week so am last in line.

Thanks,
Larry R,
Seattle

Paul Ryan
04-22-2009, 8:26 AM
Larry,

I had waited for about 3 months before I called them. What got me concerned was that when I when on jets rebate web site I could not track my rebate. I had filed it electronically. Well kind of, on their web site they said it would be processed faster if you filed electronically, but you still had to mail in your recipts. So I don't know if I call that electronically. Anyway, I sent them in on Dec 17th and about March 1st I started checking and I couldn't find any record of my filing. So, I got concerned and I waited a little more then I called. As it turned out they had the rebate stuff but are just really slow and behind. So my advice be patient it will come. I wish I still had the contact info for you but I deleted the e-mail and phone number I had for a Lady named Candice. She was very helpful.

Gary Herrmann
04-22-2009, 8:50 AM
Also curious as to what you don't like and your work arounds. I've only used it for one project so far, but for what I paid, I'm very happy with it.

Robert foster
04-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Well guys I do like it over all but there are a couple of things that I think could be done better. One is the screw that holds the chisel in place. I got a longer machine screw that matched the threads and put a socket over the head so I wouldn't have to get the screw driver out when I changed chisels. The other "improvement" I have made is to put sandpaper to the faces of the "vice" and also some toggle clamps mounted on a T track along the top of the rear fence for holding the workpiece down. I should take some pix to show.

Bob

Jacob Griffith
04-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Yes, please post some pics of the hold down if you can.

Charles Krieger
04-22-2009, 2:06 PM
Jet was really slow on my rebate check as well. Bought a 2 HP canister dust collector in December, got the rebate check this week. Makes one wonder about the financial condition/staffing of the company. In any event they should make good on the rebate promises including the length of time to get the check.

Robert foster
04-22-2009, 6:04 PM
Here are some of the mods I have done to the JFM-5.