PDA

View Full Version : New Ridgid Hybrid Tablesaw

Jerome Hanby
04-21-2009, 8:18 PM
Finally saw one of these in the flesh (or granite). I thought the fence was okay for one that comes with the saw, but I was left little flat by the rest of the saw. Not sure what I was basing my expectations on, but this saw didn't meet them. I can't put my finger on any one thing, but it just didn't hit me as a substantial Table Saw (at least not compared to other hybrids I've seen). The older Ridgid Contractor saws hit me just the opposite, they always seemed rock solid to me...

Cary Falk
04-21-2009, 8:29 PM
I thought the fence was okay for one that comes with the saw, but I was left little flat by the rest of the saw.

I thought the saw was ok for what you pay for but I hated the fence. I have not seen any other hybrids in the flesh except for the zip code saws

RON F. ANDERSON
04-21-2009, 8:52 PM
I saw the saw and was not impressed at all. It seems to look weak and not up to serious wood wokers. Now i could be wrong, I have the older style of the ridge table saw and have have no problems to speak of.

I look forward to anyone using this saw and their thoughts!

Jim Rimmer
04-21-2009, 9:00 PM
Where did you guys see this saw? I've been watching for it at HD.

I was curious about how brittle the granite might ber and waht happens if it breaks or cracks.

Jerome Hanby
04-21-2009, 9:03 PM
Where did you guys see this saw? I've been watching for it at HD.

I was curious about how brittle the granite might ber and waht happens if it breaks or cracks.

I saw it in the HD on 280 in Birmingham. I played with the miter gauage a little, I think you'd have to be pretty rough to break the granite that makes up the t slot

Craig McCormick
04-21-2009, 9:03 PM
Hmmm, That's funny, I saw on about a month ago at HD and thought the same thing. Kind of looked cheap.

AZCRAIG

Cary Falk
04-21-2009, 9:08 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Rimmer;1114254]Where did you guys see this saw? QUOTE]

Gresham, Oregon. Doesn't help you in TX though.

Woodrow McDoodle
04-21-2009, 9:12 PM
I saw one last week and my first thought was... I liked the old style better. The extention wings on the one I saw were uneven, went down the road to the next HD and saw another, same thing. Woodie

Mike Svoma
04-21-2009, 9:27 PM
This is a good saw. It is intended more for the newer woodworkers that don't have experience with the high end saws. I got mine about a month and a half ago and I love it. I replaced an older benchtop Delta saw after about six years of struggling with it.

Unfortunately a lot of the opinions are based on seeing the saw set up at HD. These saws are set up by the associates in the heardware dept and are typically not set up correctly. That's what I have noticed.

Nice price point for a good newbie saw.

The fence is solid and accurate.....when set up properly.

The miter gage is also goo, if set up properly. One drawback of the granite top is the lead in to the miter slots. The corners will chip a little if not careful. I have sent a note to Ridgid to make a design change in this area.

The wings on my saw were very easy to get aligned and leveled. Worked great.

I also added UHMW faces to the fence on my saw, as many other owners have done.

Sorry I have gone on about this saw, but I really like it and it will serve me well for the future.

Mike

Craig McCormick
04-22-2009, 9:30 AM
This is a good saw. It is intended more for the newer woodworkers that don't have experience with the high end saws. I got mine about a month and a half ago and I love it. I replaced an older benchtop Delta saw after about six years of struggling with it.

Unfortunately a lot of the opinions are based on seeing the saw set up at HD. These saws are set up by the associates in the heardware dept and are typically not set up correctly. That's what I have noticed.

Nice price point for a good newbie saw.

The fence is solid and accurate.....when set up properly.

The miter gage is also goo, if set up properly. One drawback of the granite top is the lead in to the miter slots. The corners will chip a little if not careful. I have sent a note to Ridgid to make a design change in this area.

The wings on my saw were very easy to get aligned and leveled. Worked great.

I also added UHMW faces to the fence on my saw, as many other owners have done.

Sorry I have gone on about this saw, but I really like it and it will serve me well for the future.

Mike

Mike,

My initial negative feelings about the saw may have come from the poor store assembly which was very obvious.

I did buy the contractor version when they were on clearance. I like it better than my old Jet contractor, but not as well as my euro slider I had to sell to pay medical bills

AZCRAIG

Eric Roberge
04-22-2009, 9:39 AM
Whatever you do, don't go on the Ridged forum and criticize the fence. If felt the same way most of you do after seeing it at a WW show a month ago (I own the TS 3660 and love it), but I was not impressed with the saw fit and finish or the fence. Anyway, I got chewed out very quickly when I gave my 2c on the fence. Lesson learned:o

E-

Josh Gerber
04-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Whatever you do, don't go on the Ridged forum and criticize the fence. If felt the same way most of you do after seeing it at a WW show a month ago (I own the TS 3660 and love it), but I was not impressed with the saw fit and finish or the fence. Anyway, I got chewed out very quickly when I gave my 2c on the fence. Lesson learned:o

E-

I was going to buy this saw tomorrow, which is when the Big Tool at HD starts. $75 off the saw. I'm a novice woodworker, and don't any table saw experience to compare it with. Which means I should like it. Anyway is there a way to improve the fence that comes with it? A guy over on the Ridgid forum put faces on the fence, what the purpose of that?

scott spencer
04-22-2009, 10:59 AM
The good news is that most of what I've read from owners has been very positive. It has cabinet mounted trunnions on a 3/4 enclosure that's very much like the Craftsman 22114. It uses the same Herculift as the 3650, and has oversized handwheels. Not sure why they chose that blade guard, but it has the potential to add a single riving knife blade. The fence "looks" a little funky because Ridgid did not include faces, but other than the two-piece rails, has a very similar design to the T2 and other "Biese Lite" style fences. It looks like a lot of saw for $600 to me. Fence alignment, wings, and handwheel mechanisms are all part of the initial setup and should be adjustable.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/r4511topview.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/R4511Trunion.jpg

Mike Svoma
04-22-2009, 1:12 PM
Mike,

My initial negative feelings about the saw may have come from the poor store assembly which was very obvious.

I did buy the contractor version when they were on clearance. I like it better than my old Jet contractor, but not as well as my euro slider I had to sell to pay medical bills

AZCRAIG

That's fine Craig. I have heard good and bad but most of the bad has been the result of poor set-up in the store. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, that's what makes this woodworking thing so interesting.

Mike