PDA

View Full Version : End your wiring questions

Mike Vermeil
03-19-2003, 1:06 PM
One of the most consistent questions I have seen on this and other ww forums is shop wiring. Most of you seem to be like me. You have a basic understanding of what 's going on, but not enough knowledge to go beyond a new circuit here or there.

Well, in preparation for the remodeling of an upstairs bedroom in my house that has morphed into a complete rewiring of the 2nd floor, I discovered a book so good, I had to pass it along: Wiring A House, by Rex Cauldwell from the Taunton Press.

It is quite possibly the best how-to book I've read. I've got a couple chapters left to go, but the book is so well written, so well laid out, and so complete that I'm more than confident I can tackle the replacement of the old knob & tube in my attic, as well as the jumble of wires that have been spliced in to provide sockets throughout the 2nd floor. I also now have a good understanding of the overall conepts of house wiring, starting not just at the breaker panel, but all the way back to the utility transformer.

The only drawback for a woodworker would be the lack of a chapter specifically on shop wiring. However, shop-type circuits are mentioned in different places, and the electricity in your house is no different than that in your shop. For instance, the information passed along for 220v stove circuits can easily applied to other 220v circuits in your shop.

No affiliation, I just had to pass it along.

Ted Shrader
03-19-2003, 1:10 PM
That book and a National Electrical Code book to look up wire size for loads, etc will serve to get you through shop wiring.

Ted

Steven Wilson
03-19-2003, 2:14 PM
I'll also add in your local electrical inspector as a source. Mine has office hours early in the morning and I ask him questions once and awhile when I'm confused about something in the NEC (latest example motor circuits). He takes the time the straighten me out and explain what he see's as the differences between hobby/light industrial, industrial, and heavy industrial wiring. I've found his help to be invaluable in designing my current and future shops electrical requirements. Besides he's the one who will be blessing my adventures